Gibson Brands Forums

Challenger 3

dedmeet

So, long story short: I am a long-time bass player who has been looking for a guitar to sharpen my meager guitar skills and round out my musical skill set a bit. Stumbled on to a Gibson Challenger 3 at a local shop and snagged it at a good price (or what seemed to me like a good price for any USA made Gibson). Did a little research and it seems this is a fairly uncommon axe. As far as I can tell, the unit is stock except for updated tuners. It plays fine but needs strings, cleaning, and a set up job.

I will admit to being in a bit of a quandary with this guitar. As a bassist, I know there are some rare basses and guitars out there that are better suited to be in the hands of a collector rather than used heavily. Is this guitar one of those? I posted some pics on fb seeking info and a few collectors reached out to me interested in acquiring the guitar, but valuing this guitar is proving difficult due to its odd mix of rarity and being a Nolin-era unit.

So, keep it, fix it, and play it, or make some Gibson collectors day by selling it and getting something more suitable to my meager guitar talents?

20131020_134742sm_zps0407f57f.png

20131020_134751sm_zpse7e41d12.png

• 1 month later...

So, long story short: I am a long-time bass player who has been looking for a guitar to sharpen my meager guitar skills and round out my musical skill set a bit. Stumbled on to a Gibson Challenger 3 at a local shop and snagged it at a good price (or what seemed to me like a good price for any USA made Gibson). Did a little research and it seems this is a fairly uncommon axe. As far as I can tell, the unit is stock except for updated tuners. It plays fine but needs strings, cleaning, and a set up job.

I will admit to being in a bit of a quandary with this guitar. As a bassist, I know there are some rare basses and guitars out there that are better suited to be in the hands of a collector rather than used heavily. Is this guitar one of those? I posted some pics on fb seeking info and a few collectors reached out to me interested in acquiring the guitar, but valuing this guitar is proving difficult due to its odd mix of rarity and being a Nolin-era unit.

So, keep it, fix it, and play it, or make some Gibson collectors day by selling it and getting something more suitable to my meager guitar talents?

Did you sell your guitar? I just ask because I bought one just like it this week. The Tuners were changed when I got it. but otherwise it looks like the same guitar.

DSCF7998.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived