Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Arrived Today - Pictures

AlanS

Hi All

Well my new ES-339 arrived today,so i am going to try and post some pictures here.

I was surprised to see that nowhere on the guitar does it say ES-339,but all the info is

in the COA,so no worries.

Hope the pictures are OK - Alan

IMG_0039_zps0dfbb642.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsdd27ed23.jpg

IMG_0041_zps6667f437.jpg

IMG_0042_zps1702bc44.jpg

IMG_0044_zps46e75740.jpg

IMG_0046_zpsd060b10d.jpg

IMG_0048_zps6a1910f2.jpg

IMG_0049_zps98deed58.jpg

I was surprised to see that nowhere on the guitar does it say ES-339,but all the info is

in the COA,so no worries.

My '09 has "ES-339" hand written on the inside orange label. Yours does not?

Is the inside wood stained black, or has it been left natural? It looks black in the pictures, which would be a change from earlier years. Another fellow posted a pic of his new ES-335, which is black inside, so I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for ES bodies.

Like the vintage style brown case a lot - mine is black.

Congrats!

My '09 has "ES-339" hand written on the inside orange label. Yours does not?

Is the inside wood stained black, or has it been left natural? It looks black in the pictures, which would be a change from earlier years. Another fellow posted a pic of his new ES-335, which is black inside, so I'm wondering if this is going to be the new normal for ES bodies.

Like the vintage style brown case a lot - mine is black.

Congrats!

Hi bobouz

Just to confirm that the Model and Serial number are written on the orange

label inside the body.

The inside is also stained Black as you noticed.

I was under the impression that the Memphis Custom Shop guitars were marked Custom Shop on the back

of the headstock,but this one only has the serial number.

There is no question it is genuine,i just thought it a bit strange that's all.

It plays really well,and as it is my first Gibson,I find something new about it every time i pick it up.

It is a sad confession that sometimes i just sit and stare at it.

Alan

Huh? The bridge looks funny. It doesn't look like an ABR-1. It looks more like a Nashville. It even looks like it has anchor type inserts like a Nashville. Something's wrong with that. 339's have ABR Bridges. The saddles look funny too. And the geometry of the bridge, stopbar and bridge pickup doesn't look right. :unsure:

Not sure if the case is correct. Don't they come with black "Gibson Custom" cases?

Where'd you get this guitar, if you don't mind me asking? A Gibson dealer?

Huh? The bridge looks funny. It doesn't look like an ABR-1. It looks more like a Nashville. It even looks like it has anchor type inserts like a Nashville.

I noticed that too, so I did a little looking around. I didn't see any with Nashville bridges on any of the online dealer sites, but here's one on ebay, the same, Nashville bridge and brown case.

My link

Edit: Here's another at Sweetwater Music My link

Yes I bought it new from a highly respected Gibson dealer

in the UK.

I have the correct paperwork and COA,and the Label inside the guitar

has all the necessary info on it.

The guitar was made in the Memphis Custom Shop on the 23/05/2013

or if in the US 05/23/2013,so it is this years model.

And i like it.

Alan

Yes I bought it new from a highly respected Gibson dealer

in the UK.

I have the correct paperwork and COA,and the Label inside the guitar

has all the necessary info on it.

The guitar was made in the Memphis Custom Shop on the 23/05/2013

or if in the US 05/23/2013,so it is this years model.

And i like it.

Alan

Alan, Congratulations. It's a beauty. I have a 2007, red. I play it just about every day. I think you'll be very happy with it.

It doesn't look like an ABR-1. It looks more like a Nashville.

No question the bridge has gone from a ABR-1 to a Nashville, but this appears to be just one of a number of subtle changed made to the ES-339.

Looking a little closer, the pickguard has received a broader band of white along the edge compared to earlier versions. This seems to be a universally applied revision on recent Memphis pickguards.

The brown case & darkened interior also appear to have a broader application in freshly minted Memphis instruments.

339s used to sport a Custom Shop serial number & logo on the back of the headstock, so this would be another change. Of course, it's a moot point because they all come off the same factory floor in Memphis.

Being first released in 2007, the ES-339 is not a model steeped in history to where original detail features would necessarily be more highly prized. Assessing them one piece at a time, if you've got a good one, enjoy it!

When I was choosing my guitar I had it narrowed down to 3 Gibsons and the 339 was one of them. It was a very difficult decision to make. I am satisfied but even as I was placing my order I wasn't sure I didn't want the 339 and I decided that if there was anything at all that I did not like about my Les Paul, no matter how small, it was going to go right back into the box and sent back for the 339. I am happy to say that I love the Les Paul but that sure is a nice choice.

Archived