Gibson Brands Forums

My vote is both. I just wish 80/20's would last longer. PB's(Hog) seem to last forever, yet the 80/20's(RW), seem to fizzle out after a couple of days?

My next set will be 85/15s though.

I bought some 80/15 and put them on my RW J45 and didn't like them at all? For me the tone was more like when I put PB's on it, just not right.

Really enjoying John Pearse PB's right now, but also really like the Dean Markley 85/15 Vintage Bronze

I really like the tone of JP/PB but they go away in a hurry. I get about half the "peak time" with them and then when they get dull, they get really dull.

I have been mainly playing John Pearse PB, new mediums and mediums. They do poop out pretty bad after a few months of playing for me. I play quite a bit so I tend to beat the crap out of strings and my string bill is considerable on the several guitars I play regularly. Phosphor bronze does seem to reach a threshold where tonality suffers - seems out of tune - and tone is dull. I start feeling discouraged about getting good sound from the instrument. Then I check the paper string label which I mark with date strung and put in case pocket. My impression is that 80/20's do last a bit longer before I get the sense of trouble tuning or dullness. But at their peak they don't perform quite as well as pb's imo...

I really like the tone of JP/PB but they go away in a hurry. I get about half the "peak time" with them and then when they get dull, they get really dull.

Funny you should mention this because I have the same problem with J.P. PB.

Give D'Addario EJ16's a try. I use them on all of my guitars, once in a

while when I'm feeling adventurous, I throw on the J.P's.

The D'Addario's last longer for me. YMMV of course. :)