Gibson Brands Forums

Something is wrong with the guitar.

gremwood

I don't think there's a virus, link worked well for someone else. If there is, No intention of there being a virus, sorry I didn't know about that. The problem was it sounds like a rattle. I tried moving the saddle, raising the bridge up a bit, but none work.

this link should be better, direct download from windows live.

http://cid-7920de854c7d335a.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/MIC-2008-12-26|_17h03m20s.wav

I've tried tuning it to the correct tune, it was out of tune when I recorded it, and was the same before. I tune with a 440 tuner, and the strings are new. (Happened with the older strings as well.)

If it's a fret buzz, how can I find out which one it is, so maybe I can shave it down?

Probably your guitar needs setup. It could be the neck, it could be the bridge height but most likely its everything.

Get it to tech, a luthier, or whatever and let him slove this for you.

It should be no big deal, really. If it is setupe, then be aware that setup is just a small procedure that should ne done once in a while to keep you guitar as playable as it gets. Usually the change in weather make the wood to move and bend and that's why you need to setup.

It COULD be something serious. But in 99% of the cases what you described is just a string buzz.

Regards.

If it happened suddenly, like overnight, then you could have a fret wire that has popped up.

If you are not familiar with setup work, then you really should carry the guitar to a music shop or luthier. I Know it sounds expensive, but screwing up the frets could cost you much more.

It's touching a fret. You can hear a bit on the D string also.

Your guitar needs a setup. The G string has less tension than the other strings, which allows it to misbehave. It also is at the highest point of the neck radius. If your bridge radius does not follow your neck radius (most do not right out of the box), you'll get a buzz on your middle strings. The solution is to raise the bridge a bit and then do a proper setup of each saddle, complete with intonation and filing to the proper action.

It's touching a fret. You can hear a bit on the D string also.

Your guitar needs a setup. The G string has less tension than the other strings, which allows it to misbehave. It also is at the highest point of the neck radius. If your bridge radius does not follow your neck radius (most do not right out of the box), you'll get a buzz on your middle strings. The solution is to raise the bridge a bit and then do a proper setup of each saddle, complete with intonation and filing to the proper action.

"Sitar" sounds on open strings are usually badly cut nut slots (as related by an earlier post).

On fretted strings it could be neck relief/action (setup adjustment) or high fret(s) (bad fret dressing or popping out of fingerboard).

If you don't have confidence in your own "diagnosis" or in your own technical ability to correct the issue, do take the guitar to a decent guitar tech. You might be most comfortable using a tech who is Gibson Warranty Certified.. If you call Gibson Customer Service (toll free) they will give you names and contact information for techs in your area.

Archived