Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul and weight

Jackdaniels2244

I have 2 Les Pauls, from the Norlin Era (non-weight relieved), a '76 LP Deluxe,

and a 1980 Les Paul Custom...BOTH are Great Guitars, but also like "Anvils,"

weight wise. So...I bought a Neoprene Bass Strap. Now I can play them (standing),

for hours (if need be), without the crushing pain, they used to cause. [thumbup]

CB

Some of my LPs are rather heavy. I use the same straps with them as with most of my guitars 'n' basses:

http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,837;item,548;Suede-Leather-MSS3

Strongly recommended are strap security locks - I use these:

http://schaller-electronic.com/hp122162/Security-Lock.htm

respectively the nickel plated ones for LPs with nickel hardware.

8.3 is a lightweight. I have a Standard at 7-3/4 lbs. But the majority are in that 8-1/2 range with chambered bodies. My heaviest is 9 lbs.

It doesn't make a difference but to whoever is playing the LP.

For sure Strats are 8+ lbs now. Look at the Sweetwater sight with US Standard Strats and LPs for that matter.

Strap makes a difference for sure.

Hello!

My Classic Custom is 3.8 kgs (8.3 lbs.), which is heavy!

Um..

My MIA Strat is: 8.30lbs = 3.78k or 8lbs 4.3oz

My Les Paul is 9.00lbs

So is 8.3lbs heavy for a Paul... I didn't think so.. I would assume over 9.3 + would start to get there in the heavy category

My Gibson Les Paul guitars vary from 3.8 kilograms (ca. 8 lbs 5 oz) for an Alex Lifeson Axcess and a Class 5 weight relieved to 4.4 kilograms (ca. 9 lbs 10 oz) for massive and modern weight relieved ones. My Epiphone Les Paul is 4.3 kilograms (ca. 9 lbs 8 oz).

My MIM Fender Stratocasters weigh within the same range as the Gibson SGs of mine and are from 3.1 kilograms (ca. 6 lbs 12 oz) to 3.8 kilograms (ca. 8 lbs 5 oz) either.

All of my Fender Telecasters made in USA, Mexico and Indonesia are close to 3.4 kilograms (ca. 7 lbs 8 oz).

A nice wide and padded leather strap will do a good job of helping to disperse the weight of an LP across your shoulder. Levy has some great straps at affordable prices. Places like Guitar Center and Musician's Friend (which are pretty much the same thing) carry them and you can check them out on their web sites.

True, the straps which are wider distribute the weight more evenly and don't dig in as much. The 4" wide straps are ideal.

Right though the guitars are relative in consistency. Even with Fender Tele/s and Gretsch I have seen guitars and owned them that were 12-14 lbs. I had a 78 Telecaster which sounded great, heaviest guitar I ever owned at 14lbs. Gretsch, my first good guitar I gigged with was 12lbs. After lugging that for years, I started checking a few out at the store's for weight. Course back then that option was very limited.

If you see them in person like today, its a world a of different story. You don't only run into the average guitar, you run into the exceptions to the rule every now and again. Which is much more pure chance on-line.

Little different on-line. Most of us think QC on-line, the weight we take it on faith it will be in a average range as the above numbers indicate on posts. And that's fine, you buy a guitar and it sounds, plays and is spot on with QC, that 1-lb then makes no difference. Its when you see the exception to the rule then compare the other end of the spectrum where you see the variance. I'll pick up that one LP or Strat in my travels and immediately realize the weight. At least I do and for good reason.

I check for weight when I check out a guitar, but I was stuck gigging an anchor for a couple years also. So for me while not the first statistic to consider, it does come to mind in the final analysis when buying.

• 4 weeks later...

8.3 lbs ain't heavy! Even a strat can weigh nearly that! When you're talking 14lbs for some of the solid les Paul's I don't think we need to have any worries about the newer chambered models

yes, my old (1 pc back) LP is 14.1 lbs naked (no strap) and a 3.5" padded suede strap saved my shoulder many a time.

didn't save my back though.

I would just like to add that you guys make me do weird things I would never think of on my own. After reading this I jumped up went into the bathroom with my American Deluxe Strat and my Les Paul Custom Classic. I got the Bathroom scales out and my Les Paul weighed almost 9 lbs and my Strat weighed a little over 8 lbs.

I would have never done this had I not read these posts... just saying. The wife was looking at me kind of strange. I simple said "all the guys are doing it."

Hehe! That's exactly what I did. I was surprised that my Firebird was less than 2lb lighter than the LP, because it feels way lighter. Odd. [mellow]

The more I play mine the less I notice it. I think you grow accustom to it.

That is absolutely true, Donny. I played a LP for years and never really noticed the weight. It's only after getting used to my Firebird that the LP felt heavy.

... Or did the writer just miss to click the stars correctly? [confused]

Yes. Wrong stars button.

Oddly enough another 1-star gave it a rave review as well. Says a lot about bass-players' intelligence.............................J?K!..................[tongue]

Only one reviwer didn't like it at all.

P.

All I know, is that one of those neoprene bass straps, was a "Godsend"

with my LP Custom. I'm more "used to" playing my SG's, now...so, going

back to the LP's (especially the "anvil" weight, of the Custom), the

neoprene straps are a "must," nowadays. They really DO help, a LOT,

for my tired OLD shoulder/back, now! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived