Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG neck break

lengle1981

Been offered one but the neck has broken where it meets the body. It looks like its come out of the socket. Just wondering if its an easy mend. The neck slots straight back in place so is a clean break. Was thinking of buying it and getting some titebond and clamping it. The truss rod looks to be fine and doesn't seem to be damaged , the neck as already stated has just come out right by the body basically. I've never done this sort of thing before but thought it would be an ideal opportunity to start. Plus the SG is being offered very cheap due to the break.

How much money are we talking here? Which model is it? If its on the cheap definitely get it. I broke my G-400 neck right near where it meets the body. I was able to glue it up and it still works like a charm. Can't even tell it was ever broken.

How much money are we talking here? Which model is it? If its on the cheap definitely get it. I broke my G-400 neck right near where it meets the body. I was able to glue it up and it still works like a charm. Can't even tell it was ever broken.

Its a g400 and its. Gonna cost £50. Think its cheap enough to try it

Remember if you're going to glue it up you need to clean out the original glue first to get a secure joint. Also run a straight edge along the fingerboard to give you an idea whether the set is correct - you don't want to glue it in and find the bridge can't be adjusted to get the action where you want it. But yeah, for £50 sounds like a cool project!

Should be a fairly easy fix. I'd suggest that IF you do get it,

sand any paint out of the cavity, and off the neck tenon, prior

to re-gluing, if there is any? If they didn't do that, in the

factory, that may be the reason the joint failed. The glue stuck

to the paint/finish, and not the wood. Just a guess/thought...

since I haven't seen it. It "should" have been glued, prior to

painting, but...who knows?

Some of Epi's Masterbilt (and other) acoustic guitars had a similar

issue with their bridges, popping off, due to the glue being only

adhered to the finish, and not the actual wood.

Good Luck, whatever you do.

CB

yeah dan erlewines book tells you just what to do on this. i would think though that you would be better off getting some real hyde glue and a glue pot for this. the titebond is good stuff for regluing a top or a crack but the neck and headstock take more pressure and real hyde glue is stronger. im guessing the original joint was done wrong and thats why it seperated.. you can get that glue on ebay in the luthier section of the guitar area. it will be much stronger with that . in the mean time dan has alot of videos on youtube and on the stewart mcdonald web site. you might find one there on this subject. for the price id buy the guitar too. good luck with it.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Wood_glue/Behlen_Ground_Hide_Glue.html

Archived