Gibson Brands Forums

'59 Les Paul Junior - Single Cut Pic 2

Architar

At first I did not think that serial number was possible but did some research and found this:

....hence 5 digits and no space following the year had to be used. Apparently production was high enough in 1956 to exceed "6 9999". 1959 & 1960 production was also very high, exceeding "9 9999" and going to "932000" or higher.

At first I did not think that serial number was possible but did some research and found this:

....hence 5 digits and no space following the year had to be used. Apparently production was high enough in 1956 to exceed "6 9999". 1959 & 1960 production was also very high, exceeding "9 9999" and going to "932000" or higher.

Thanks...I read something along the same lines. I emailed some pictures to Tom Wittrock, and he responded and said he's seen some six digit Les Paul Jr.'s from 1959 with single cut bodies. All of them, to his knowledge, have narrow frets, as mine does. I'm wondering if the usual double cut '59's have wider frets...how about yours? Another anomaly is that the tone pot has a 1957 date code (can't get to the volume pot to check...wiring too tight). Of course, older pots can show up in a guitar with a later serial number. Possible that an older build sat around and was finished up later and sent out?

Little matter...it's a great guitar any which way.

Thanks...I read something along the same lines. I emailed some pictures to Tom Wittrock, and he responded and said he's seen some six digit Les Paul Jr.'s from 1959 with single cut bodies. All of them, to his knowledge, have narrow frets, as mine does. I'm wondering if the usual double cut '59's have wider frets...how about yours? Another anomaly is that the tone pot has a 1957 date code (can't get to the volume pot to check...wiring too tight). Of course, older pots can show up in a guitar with a later serial number. Possible that an older build sat around and was finished up later and sent out?

Little matter...it's a great guitar any which way.

My 59 does not have the wider frets. However, I bought the guitar in the '80's and the fretboard was so clean and smooth looking compared to my '60 Melody Maker, I assumed the 59 had a refret. I have seen those wide, low frets but only on '70's Gibsons.

Those frets do look a little wider than mine...wondering if anyone knows LP history as to when wider frets were phased in. Like that guitar case (and need one for my Jr.)...can you tell me about it?

Oh, I do concur...your Junior is an eyeful. I like seeing that lovely grain through the finish.

Those frets do look a little wider than mine...wondering if anyone knows LP history as to when wider frets were phased in. Like that guitar case (and need one for my Jr.)...can you tell me about it?

Oh, I do concur...your Junior is an eyeful. I like seeing that lovely grain through the finish.

When I get up the energy, I'll pull the Melody Maker out of the attic and take a look at the frets, they have to be original as they are deeply grooved and have been that way since I got it in the '80's. Still plays great though. Never understood how bad they would have to be to require a regret.

Archived