Gibson Brands Forums

My basement find. 1929 L-0?

Ebarth

Hi newbie here,

I recently bought a guitar from my coworker. It has been in her basement for years. It belonged to her Great Uncle and she is probably close to 60 if I had to guess. When I first saw it I thought the bridge had been replaced because I haven't seen one like it before. It looked like something a luthier made to raise the saddle. Most of the pictures I found of these old L-0, L-1, And L-00 guitars had a longer bridge on them. Then I found this post; http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/14380-how-old-is-this/page__hl__1929%20l-0%20__unlockUserAgent__1. These bridges look the same to me. Anyhow, has anyone ever seen this color of mahogany stain before? I have only seen one picture online that looks like it. The FON is 9247. Am I correct in thinking it is a 1929? Here are some pics. This guitar has a neat tone and plays well even with 30+ year old strings on it. Does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? Thanks in advance.

post-60190-014918600 1382773874_thumb.jpg

post-60190-081741500 1382773888_thumb.jpg

post-60190-092039900 1382773899_thumb.jpg

post-60190-066828400 1382773936_thumb.jpg

post-60190-046936700 1382773960_thumb.jpg

post-60190-034011400 1382773967_thumb.jpg

Yes that FON is listed as a batch of L0 guitars from 1929 in Joe Spann's guide.. I commented in the thread you linked to. This bridge is late and often means an X or A braced top. Which does this have?

Value: Does it have an original hard case or soft case. $2200-3200.

They are light!

Terry

Yes that FON is listed as a batch of L0 guitars from 1929 in Joe Spann's guide.. I commented in the thread you linked to. This bridge is late and often means an X or A braced top. Which does this have?

Value: Does it have an original hard case or soft case. $2200-3200.

They are light!

Terry

It has a hard case but it is a 1970's epiphone case. I don't know how to tell about the bracing between X or A. I can feel diagonal braces under the sound hole.

Can you drop a little cosmetic mirror in and look around? Bet it's X'd. If the action gets high fast up the neck you may need to have it reset, but I'll assume the strings were loosened when it was stored. If not, you're lucky it's holding together at all.

The X brace you can feel as it crosses just below the soundhole and the X continues on the side of the soundhole. A, H or A braced guitar will have a brace running straight from side to side. From your desciption it sounds X braced. If you have a small hand mirror put it inside and look around the different bracing patterns look like their names.

Most of the small pyramid bridges have the A or X bracing.

These size guitars can put out some sound. Each of the bracings patterns gives these guitars a unique sound. All are very responsive with a lot of punch. When set up they have great playing necks and a short scale.

I have a similar Nick Lucas sitting out now. They have the same shape but a deeper body ans spruce top.

Terry

Here is the same pic with the A and X added. Not accurate placement, but you get an idea. Some people call the A brace a V brace, just depends on your perspective. With the X bracing there is no brace running from side to side.

DSCF3291f.jpg

Here is the same pic with the A and X added. Not accurate placement, but you get an idea. Some people call the A brace a V brace, just depends on your perspective. With the X bracing there is no brace running from side to side.

DSCF3291f.jpg

It has A bracing.

Thanks for the report on the bracing. The all mahogany guitars are more scarce than the sunburst spruce tops, at least my observation through the years. I have seen few with this bridge. This was near the end of production for this body size. Gibson went to an X bracing with this bridge and plain rectangle bridge. The large size was being worked on. An all mahogany guitar went into the large size production also. It too, is scarce as is the 14 fret large body size.

This was the full size, largest flat-top Gibson built at the time. The Nick Lucas has the same footprint, but deeper body. this was it. The larger 12 fret body was just being produced. Gibson zoomed through some changes in those lean years. these look like pretty old guitars today. they are loud!

thanks again for sharing a nice old Gibson flat top.

Terry

This is a 1928 Gibson Nick Lucas Special, H braced. FON 8989

A 1929 L2, a little later than your L0. First of the large bodies.

DSC04243.jpg

DSC04325.jpg

DSC03760+-+Copy.jpg

Archived