Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Searcy

Rebuilding a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Jr Pro

So I'm out at the Nashville Flea Market yesterday. Being the fashion guru that she is my wife was invited there to check out a vintage clothing sale. This flea market is held once a month on the Tennessee State Fair Grounds and is HUGE. I'm good for clothes so I walked around the booths for a while to see if I could find a deal. Lots of stupid stuff. $50 First Act acoustic guitars for $150. $40 practice amps for %100.. Eventually I walked into a booth and saw this.

null_zps04164831.jpg

I picked it up and checked out the back of the head stock and saw this. (without the tuners)

6c7e3bdd-ad34-4c0d-b619-d926b1094526_zps0b2ad0e4.jpg

I asked the guy how much?

He said "$250".

"$180" I said.

"Deal!" he said

Damn... I should have said $150...

When I got home I slapped on a set of Gibson tuners I had in the shop and looked the guitar up in the interwebs.

This guitar originally had a factory Steinberger bridge and was called a Les Paul Junior DC Pro. It would have looked exactly like this.

P1010071.jpg

Someone has filled the rout for the trem and drilled it for some TOM post bushings. Not sure what they are thinking of for a stop bad. looks like some sort of Fender Hard Tail idea from the drill pattern.

7d46dae4-411d-4325-91f5-298d3de318aa_zpse5e237f1.jpg

So... new project. Gotta finish the Kay first though.

WEll... I'm gonna let it hang in my office and think about it but this is what going on in my sick little mind.

LPGreen2.png

[thumbup]

Maybe something a little simpler.

kGreenLPJRcopy_zpse66f7b9b.jpg

This is my 3rd Les Paul DC. The are some of my favorite guitar and I think they are one of Gibson best designs ever.

Hard to tell 100% from pics but at a glance it looks like they have at least done a pretty good job on the filling and drilling...I could be mistaken tho as I am only going by the pics.

I'd make it a Les Paul Junior DC Pro again, really hard to find.

That thought crossed my mind. Seems those Steinberger KB locking trems were very poorly designed and prone to bending the fulcrum posts. I have seen a few on some Epiphone guitars and they never seem to work well. Also the neck pickup would have hard to track down. Still, we'll see what comes up between now and the time I start working on it.

Tried out a color yesterday.

ecfbb8de-09ce-405a-82e7-0266a839dbc9_zps1ac1b2c7.jpg

Not sure it's bright enough for me though. This may be the project where I finally buy and air brush set so I can mix my own colors.

My husband thinks the color of this toolbox would be a cool color for that guitar.

KRA2407PJJ.jpg

HA! I like your husbands thinking RoseMarie!

Had some parts come in last night so I figured I would set it up and see what it looks like.

null_zps9a422357.jpg

Test fit of the pick guard. If I offset it to the bass side I can cover the neck pickup rout. But that makes pitting a dog ear in the bridge picision very tight.

null_zps4fa1d006.jpg

Dulop strap pegs. I have taken to using all black strap pegs.

null_zps288e9fba.jpg

The Fender string ferrules fit perfectly. Clearly the guy who was rebuilding this thing had them in mind. He drilling was a bit crooked though.

null_zps050bee2f.jpg

The Tune O Matic bridge came from my Spider Baby SG. If you remember I installed a StetsBar on that guitar so I didn't need this anymore. The bushing are some that I had in the shop. They are gold but you won't see them.

null_zpsac86b189.jpg

The runs in the paint wont be there when we are done. More on that later.

null_zpsd03a56ed.jpg

The ferrules for the front didn't fix so I had to do a little drilling.

null_zps3f8902a4.jpg

In the end I decided to mount the pickup guard properly and worry about the visible neck rout later.

null_zps2f41a4b5.jpg

There's an original Searcy Neo Dog Ear.

null_zps9f48ff83.jpg

Let's take the tape off and see what we have.

null_zps295c584c.jpg

The Gibson tuners also came from the SG.

null_zpsbe549096.jpg

New Slinkies!

null_zps60212e31.jpg

In the end I decided to try out a pickup that I made years ago that was part of a bunch I made for George Thorogood. It's called The Gear Jammer. It didn't fit the guitar they wanted to use it on so it came back.

null_zps295c584c.jpg

The Gibson tuners also came from the SG.

null_zpsbe549096.jpg

New Slinkies!

null_zps60212e31.jpg

In the end I decided to try out a pickup that I made years ago that was part of a bunch I made for George Thorogood. It's called The Gear Jammer. It didn't fit the guitar they wanted to use it on so it came back.

I LOVE it! It looks awesome! You do great work, sir! [thumbup]

Thank ya Mam.

Still working on it.

null_zpscb98556a.jpg

To be honest the color isn't as sickly green as I would like it to be. It got darker as it dried. I'm going to try my hand at an air brush thanks to another forum member who had one laying around. So we'll see what happens.

null_zpsfca7ba2a.jpg

I'm thinking of borrowing a design from another 1988 Gibson model called for SG90. I found a template for it. Now all I need to do is see if it fits the guitar. MOP would look cool I think.

SG901_zpsae459860.jpg