Gibson Brands Forums

Rebuilding a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Jr Pro

Searcy

Maybe something a little simpler.

This is my 3rd Les Paul DC. The are some of my favorite guitar and I think they are one of Gibson best designs ever.

I second that motion.. My DC is up there with the best [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

My dream of a neon green glow in the dark Les Paul has died. I just cant find a color that dosn;t quickly fade to dull regular green once it's cured. So after pondering the options for a bit I desided to try some Inverness Green.

55166C02-4B4B-45FC-B9AC-4A60010CF5BC_zpsgtoeue1l.jpg

• 3 years later...

So, After putting this guitar together a few times and deciding that I didn't like my results it ended up in a case under a bed for a long time. Then last fall I was at the Gruhn Guitars yard sale and came across a Washburn Wonderbar for $40. This got the old ball rolling again and I started collecting parts to finish the job.

DSC_9306_zpsqpzbhi6p.jpg

9871AEB4-D31D-4C28-960C-6DB1F39834A2_zpspnbmzd8j.jpg

DSC_9320_zpsxai8broi.jpg

I decided to go with chrome and pearl to act as accent colors against the Inverness Green.

The neck pickup is a 1965 DeArmond Zippo pickup from a Kay guitar. I rewound this to my specs.

The bridge pickup is my copy of a Firebird mini humbucker. Aesthetically it looks cool with the Zippo pickup and the chunky chrome of the Wonderbar. Plus it has an almost single coil bits that works well as a bridge pickup.

The tuners are HipShot open gear locking tuners. The are light weight, function well, cost effective and have a look that works well with the rest of the guitar.

The white tone and volume knobs are actually push pull pots that turn the pickups on and off.

DSC_9323_zpsk5h7dcqh.jpg

DSC_9326_zpsvk1chejv.jpg

DSC_9315_zpsyvwfcv6v.jpg

DSC_9321_zps8fx0n4if.jpg

I still need to clear coat the head stock and I may sway out the trus rod cover to something more traditional.

That looks good, Searcy - I like it!

That Wonderbar bridge looks heavy! Do they work good?

It works really well. These were the first real trem units that could be mounted on a Les Paul or SG type guitar with no routing or modification at all. It was a totally reversible trem installation long before the Stets Bar of the new Floyd Rose FRX. They were only made for 3 years so they are hard to find and even harder to find with the original adapter plate like this one has.

Archived