Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 Pick Guards

stevecor1

I have a J45 Custom and a J45 Cobra Burst. I love these guitars!!! Great sound and beautiful to look at! I would like to invest in a J45 Standard. Maybe someone "in the know" or someone from Gibson can answer this question. Since on the two J45s I currently own the pick guards are correctly placed, why can't the J45 Standard also have a pick guard that is placed correctly?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a J45 Custom and a J45 Cobra Burst. I love these guitars!!! Great sound and beautiful to look at! I would like to invest in a J45 Standard. Maybe someone "in the know" or someone from Gibson can answer this question. Since on the two J45s I currently own the pick guards are correctly placed, why can't the J45 Standard also have a pick guard that is placed correctly?

Does Gibson think the placement of the pick guard on the standard line is correct?

Wait... let me make some popcorn. [biggrin]

I own four Gibsons, and the J-45 TV is the only one that impedes on the rosette. But I hesitate to do anything about it - one, there is always risk, two, the previous owner must not have cared, or he would have changed it.

As I stated, I own 2 J45s, a custom and the Cobra Burst, both with correct pick guard placement. I would love to add a J45 Standard to my collection but not with the pick guard in that position. To me it just cheapens the look of the guitar. Why Gibson chose to do this or refuses to correct it is a complete mystery to me. I know a few musician friends of mine that also refuse to buy the Standard J45 for the same reason as I refuse to buy it. I'm sure the tone is as amazing as the three Gibson guitars I already own (I also own a Hummingbird), but the aesthetic of the Standard J45 is ruined by the misplacement of the pick guard.

The guard covering the rosette seems to be the 'correct' of J-45 Standards. Ask Bozeman about that.

As you can imagine this theme has been up more than once on these pages.

Advice :

If you really want the Standard then get one and remove the guard like bbg.

I'm sure you'll find the right method described several times in different threads.

Good Luck

E-minor7 and bbg....thanks for your replies.

I was hoping someone from Gibson would read this thread and explain the misplaced pick guard. If their answer is that's the correct placement for the pick guard for the Standard J45, then I will definitely not buy one. Also, how do they explain then that those who do buy a Standard J45 remove the pick guard and reposition it? The whole issue with me is that if I'm paying over $2,000 for a guitar, I don't want to have to pull a pick guard off to reset it correctly when that should be done at the factory before the guitar is sent out.

I REALLY like the Gibson guitars I have. Both the tone and the look. My latest acquisition was the J45 Cobra which sounds great and looks incredible! Everything in its proper place :)

I have no dog in this fight since I never notice that pickguard rosette business and couldn't tell you what mine look like, nor would I ever bestir my lazy self to move an existing guard because of this issue, but I happened to look at BBG's before and after pictures and it suddenly occurred to me that partially covered was esthetically better, because it broke the symmetry of the very minimal circle rosette. Breaking symmetry produces a tension and a mystery. There is more that you can't see. Too symmetrical isn't good ...

Hey Jerry!

I, personally like the symmetry of the Gibsons I have. To me the Standard J45 looks like the guitar was put through a machine and wasn't aligned properly when the pick guard was lowered onto it.

What Gibson guitars do you have? I started acquiring them last year :)

Hey Jerry!

I, personally like the symmetry of the Gibsons I have. To me the Standard J45 looks like the guitar was put through a machine and wasn't aligned properly when the pick guard was lowered onto it.

What Gibson guitars do you have? I started acquiring them last year :)

165 maple

165 rosewood

185 modern classic (standard)

nick lucas reissue

bubinga blues king

These are all Bozeman made. I used to have a J-50 which I stupidly sold to another forum member. That was a good guitar.

Here's one of the J-45TV's on the American Musical Supply website:

J45TV_zps7ec3ee2e.jpg

No pickguard. (Nice guitar.) Maybe this is Gibson's new way of addressing this issue.

(There's a review on Sweetwater's web site where the reviewer states that the J-45TV is the best sounding guitar he's ever played, but because of the pickguard placement he'll never buy another Gibson. Can't argue with that logic....[confused])

FMA

Jerry....

A friend of mine is a well known luthier and he was restoring a 1957 J45. The sound of that guitar was AMAZING! And I really liked the look of the crackled aged finish that time had given it. Really a beautiful instrument in every way!

, , , how do they explain then that those who do buy a Standard J45 remove the pick guard and reposition it?

They don't - honestly I don't think they care. Probably just want to protect the soundhole edge

And far from everyone make the dental-floss/naphta move - some accept it as a little silly, but original 'G-trick', others prefer it that way.

I was close to saying that a 45 True Vintage was the only way out for you - eeeehhh, but they have the ring half hidden too. . .

They don't - honestly I don't think they care. Probably just want to protect the soundhole edge

And far from everyone make the dental-floss/naphta move - some accept it as a little silly, but original 'G-trick', others prefer it that way.

I was close to saying that a 45 True Vintage was the only way out for you - eeeehhh, but they have the ring half hidden too. . .

I know. I ended up getting the Custom J45 with rosewood back and sides. Then the Cobra.

Archived