Gibson Brands Forums

My Upgraded Broadway

ArchtopBill

Here are some pics of my recently upgraded Korean-made Broadway:

I had pulled the pickguard long ago. I just installed a Gibson 57 Classic at the neck and a 57 Classic Plus at the bridge. Replaced the alpha pots with CTS pots and while I was at I replaced the capacitors with higher quality caps from StewMac. Also replaced the stock knobs with black speed knobs.

The amp is my new Fender Champion 100 which I just received. My Frontman 212R developed static and Fender replaced it with the newer model under their 5-year warranty. (Sweet!)

post-22582-020302900 1382899082_thumb.jpg

Very clean looking setup.

36_2_25thumbsup.gif

So, How do you like the Gibson pups?

Willy

Thanks!

The pick ups are PHENOMINAL! More clarity and "guts" at the same time, if that makes sense. I usually do not use a pick and use only the neck pick up. This sort of technique would often sound muddy and a bit wimpy with the stock pups. The Broadway now plays so much more concisely and boadly. It is easier to play expressively with them.

My wife was skeptical that the work and expense would produce noticeable results, but she could tell the difference immediately.

Just don't lose the pick guard.

Back in the '70s I did that. Nice "look" on a natural archtop, but I wish I knew now where the guard for the guitar might be hiding in boxes hauled close to a dozen moves.

I play pretty much bare finger fingerstyle as with classical guitar but usually resting the pinkie on ... the pickguard.

Just a comment, believe me, not in any way a criticism.

m

Just don't lose the pick guard.

Back in the '70s I did that. Nice "look" on a natural archtop, but I wish I knew now where the guard for the guitar might be hiding in boxes hauled close to a dozen moves.

I play pretty much bare finger fingerstyle as with classical guitar but usually resting the pinkie on ... the pickguard.

Just a comment, believe me, not in any way a criticism.

m

No offense taken and it is a good point. I keep everything from every guitar I mod packaged together. This way if I sell the guitar, I sell it "as modded", but with all the original parts for if the new owner wishes to restore it to its stock condition. Guitars are so subjective and so personal, what I feel is perfect, or the path to perfection, may be completely rejected by others.

Bill, ain't that the truth.

I get looked as as though I were half nuts for using 9-42 on "jazz guitars" doing pop/jazz/cowboy/country/rock/blues and even more for doing the same music on a Guild 1970s version of the SG with 8-38 - or worse, 9-42 on flattops.

But for me it works.

Heck, I've told others here I was playing a lotta 12-string back in the '60s and yet when I went to try to play Mother Maybell's big old archtop Gibbie, I'm certain my eyes bugged out as I muffed my way through Wildwood Flower on her Mapes Extra Heavy. Sheesh.

As the old movie line goes, if it suits you, tickles me plumb to death.

m

Here are some pics of my recently upgraded Korean-made Broadway:

I had pulled the pickguard long ago. I just installed a Gibson 57 Classic at the neck and a 57 Classic Plus at the bridge. Replaced the alpha pots with CTS pots and while I was at I replaced the capacitors with higher quality caps from StewMac. Also replaced the stock knobs with black speed knobs.

The amp is my new Fender Champion 100 which I just received. My Frontman 212R developed static and Fender replaced it with the newer model under their 5-year warranty. (Sweet!)

Awesome!! Enjoy

Archived