Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Inlay Question

Catatonick

I can't seem to find any real solid info on it and everything I read sort of conflicts so maybe I am just looking in the wrong spots...

I noticed the SG Standard has two, very different, types of inlays. The headstock is a vibrant, shiny, and bright "MOP" while the fret markers are a duller more matte pearl looking pattern with yellow and cream colors. A closer inspection of my headstock logo/emblem shows multiple imperfections. Slight cracks, what appears to be flakes, lines, and even small round "bubbles" on the crown. I thought this was due to the finish originally but running a fingernail over it shows that it is in the inlay itself.

When looking up how to determine real from fake Mother of Pearl it said that real MOP has imperfections and feels slightly gritty. Obviously I can't tell how the headstock inlay feels as it is under a gloss finish but it does have very obvious imperfections that make me believe it is 100% natural MOP. The color is inconsistent, the flaky look is consistent with what I would expect inside a shell, and overall it just looks like it was made in a natural way. It is definitely far from perfect and uniform.

The fret markers have a distinct gritty feeling and the color is pretty inconsistent but there doesn't appear to be any flaky look to them. They sort of look manufactured.

So am I right to assume the headstock is real while the fretboard markers are manufactured to resemble MOP or am I wrong entirely?

I sure didn't see it. The only thing I saw was "traditional trapezoid inlays".

You are right about that but almost all the specs of SG's and Les Pauls with this type of inlay do mention they are Figured Acrylic Trapezoid in the description. So as acrylic has been used traditionally, they probably just used the work "traditional" in the description of the SG Standard.

I figured they were some sort of manufactured inlay. I honestly think it would have looked a bit better if it were shiny but I suppose it is a bit more traditional this way.

Granted it doesn't really matter that much considering it still sounds good and plays great.

I figured they were some sort of manufactured inlay. I honestly think it would have looked a bit better if it were shiny but I suppose it is a bit more traditional this way.

Granted it doesn't really matter that much considering it still sounds good and plays great.

All those inlays look roughly that way and have for years. They seem to hold up great though.

Archived