Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird & Acoustic Amp

Dannyangus

I recently purchased a Hummingbird acoustic and a Fender Acoustasonic 150 amp. The Hummingbird is awesome on it's own and when it's plugged directly into a PA, but I'm not satisfied with the sound plugged into the Acoustasonic. It sounds too processed to me, even at the "Pure Amp" setting. Is anyone using a Hummingbird and Acoustasonic 150 with success? What settings are you using?

I'm not apposed to selling the amp and getting another one. Any suggestions for amps that match up well with a Hummingbird?

Thanks gang!

I recently purchased a Hummingbird acoustic and a Fender Acoustasonic 150 amp. The Hummingbird is awesome on it's own and when it's plugged directly into a PA, but I'm not satisfied with the sound plugged into the Acoustasonic. It sounds too processed to me, even at the "Pure Amp" setting. Is anyone using a Hummingbird and Acoustasonic 150 with success? What settings are you using?

I'm not apposed to selling the amp and getting another one. Any suggestions for amps that match up well with a Hummingbird?

Thanks gang!

Hi Danny....

I have a Hummingbird and the amps I use are the Fishman Loudbox Mini, Roland AC-33 and Acoustic AG60. I've had good results with all of them. The first 2 are compact and easy to carry amps. The Acoustic AG60 is a full size amp and heavy but has a lot more settings than the other two. Hope this helps :)

Personally I use a Marshall AS100D acoustic amp. I'm unsure what your using for but these are excellent for the money. I've had a hummingbird plugged its great.

I believe EA another member uses one aswell and he's a hummingbird guy too. Maybe he will chime in.

Here's the specs lots of options. But it's a heavy amp probably 20-30 pounds.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AS100D

Personally I use a Marshall AS100D acoustic amp. I'm unsure what your using for but these are excellent for the money. I've had a hummingbird plugged its great.

I believe EA another member uses one aswell and he's a hummingbird guy too. Maybe he will chime in.

Here's the specs lots of options. But it's a heavy amp probably 20-30 pounds.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AS100D

Yes, the AS-100D has been our workhorse amp for a number of years when playing pubs. My HB TV sounds good through it, but it prefers the more greater headroom of PA's, which is where it really shines. However the AS-100D is a great amp, very warm sounding as you would expect from Marshall.

I don't have a 'Bird either. But with AE guitars ranging from a cupla original Ovation AEs from the early '70s to some current Epis, I've taken two routes. Note that almost inevitably I'm doing a solo gig the past 5 years or so.

Parenthetically I could have gotten one of the Fenders wholesale six eight years ago, but decided against largely because of the small speaker arrangement that sounded "electronic" too. My old Deluxe Reverb with its separate channels actually worked far better, as did my big tube 120-watt whomper also with similar two sectors. I just didn't want to keep hauling big stuff.

1. I have a very inexpensive Kustom AE 30-watter that works exceptionally well - far better than the Fender stuff. 10-inch speaker and pretty basic otherwise with a mike sector and a guitar sector so in a coffee house environment it's enough. The amp is nice and clean, and also I've used it with electrics 'stedda AEs - and it's done well with archtops of various descriptions as well as semis and even my old Guild S100c from the early '70s. And at my age it's light and comfortable, especially on a suitcase carrier with wheels. Honestly, dollar for dollar I think it's about the best value I've gotten ever for amplification - and I've had some decent equipment over the years.

2. I went the small PA route too. For $200-500 you have something you can plug into either as a solo act or in a small acoustic group pretty easily. I've also seen more than a few young guys who make their living at mostly solo gigs who plug into one or two active speakers with built-in mixers. A 12-15 inch speaker is pretty big, but the current plastic enclosures make them pretty light for the volume they can produce.

I'll add that I've been biting my lip and tongue looking at a Bose tower-type system.

Most of the gigs I've done the past cupla years (all solo) have either been running both guitar and mike through the board or miking the amp and a separate vocal mike.

m

Archived