Gibson Brands Forums

What constitutes grade AA or AAA tops?

dbossman

Hello all,

I just bought my first LP two days ago from GC. It is a 2013 Standard Cherry Burst. Wow the tone is awesome with the pickp/tone pot capabilities of splitting, bypass, and phasing. Overall, I am so psyched about the guitar... Only thing is when I got it home and under real lighting I noticed several flaws in the maple top that doesn't seem like it would be passed off as a LP Standard. The flame top is very inconsistent and not well defined. There are two knots and some other natural wood flaws in the grain but maybe not so natural when you look closely. This was a $2,500 GC/ $3,400 list price. I would expect better "visual" quality top for the price personally and saw some lower $$ models that I recall with better quality. I guess the excitement of purchasing my first LP got the best of me. It does play like a dream and really that is what I was focusing on. I know that its all about how it feels to an individual but I also want to make the best of this sort of investment. I don't turn and burn guitars. I buy them and keep them and will be left to my children some day so again, this is an investment. Is it normal for a LP at this level to have so many flaws in the maple top? The flaming in the wood grain isn't very prominent either. Any advice from the hardcore LP crowd would be appreciated. I have never laid down close to this much money on a guitar...

See attached pic. I outlined the flaws. I had a hard time getting a good picture and will use another camera to see if I can do better.

post-56910-073980000 1382978347_thumb.jpg

Grading wood is not an exact science.

Is yours meant to be a AA top? If so it's a nice one.

If it's meant to be an AAA top I've seen 'better' but it's still OK.

As far as knots etc are concerned; I've a "AAAA" LP which has a very prominent knot 'blemish' but it's a natural occurence and I really couldn't care less.

I actually think it makes the whole thing more interesing.

If you don't like it all I'll say is send it back.

P.

I agree with what's been commented above. You didn't mention the grade of your top, but Pippy addressed that.

Additionally - often the underlying grain of the wood can be seen through the figuring, including knots and other grain markings.

You have a great looking LP STD and you're saying it plays like a dream - that's the best of both sides of the coin. Congrats. . B)

:rolleyes: Come on, it's real Wood, not a "photoflame!" Those kinds of "imperfections" are natural.

Gives it, it's own "character." I've never seen a "perfect" top, nor a "perfect" guitar! Besides,

A, AA, AAA, AAAA, won't do a thing, for the sound, or playability. Just enjoy your guitar. [tongue][biggrin]

That's a VERY NICE Les Paul Standard, you have...IMHO.

CB

:rolleyes: Come on, it's real Wood, not a "photoflame!" Those kinds of "imperfections" are natural.

Gives it, it's own "character." I've never seen a "perfect" top, nor a "perfect" guitar! Besides,

A, AA, AAA, AAAA, won't do a thing, for the sound, or playability. Just enjoy your guitar. [tongue][biggrin]

That's a VERY NICE Les Paul Standard, you have...IMHO.

CB

+1

• 7 years later...
On 10/28/2013 at 1:08 PM, RUSHian said:

I think it's the amount of flame and how pronounced it is, how it's matched to the other side... . It's normal to see what you have in the grains.

There's some on mine:

GARYMOORE03_zpsc637828c.jpg

Reviving this thread a bit...

I am 8 years late to the game.  I have a Les Paul Standard arriving Friday with a AAA top and I was wondering the exact same thing.  I know, none of it matters as far as playability, but I was also curious of the rating.  I am sure many, many others wonder as well. 

BTW, these photos are pw protected.

Edited by Local_Machine

27 minutes ago, Local_Machine said:

Reviving this thread a bit...

I am 8 years late to the game.  I have a Les Paul Standard arriving Friday with a AAA top and I was wondering the exact same thing.  I know, none of it matters as far as playability, but I was also curious of the rating.  I am sure many, many others wonder as well. 

BTW, these photos are pw protected.

AAA is one better than AA. Problem solved.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Local_Machine said:

I understand better.  I was wondering on the grading system.  From what I read, the upper may more closely match the lower.  Some pictures of AA vs AAA would be great to see, for others who may wonder as well.

I think we need to see if a professional wood grader is on the forum to chime in.

All my guitars have big holes in them.

When buying a Guitar I want the whole package. Materials, Craftsmanship, Looks, QC, Sound & Playability.

Otherwise, over time, the magic wears off & it ends up living in its Case... Then I sell it & get something better.. 

If you don’t totally love it don’t keep it.... Get something better..

Here's my experience with the A's. 

A was the grade I was assigned in school whenever I did something that made the teachers happy. 
This occurred only rarely. 

AA is Alcoholics Anonymous. 
I'm not a member because my alcohol abuse is rather public and well-known. 
It's hard to be anonymous about it when everybody is hip to your passions. 
I contribute money and time to the local Chapter of AA anyway, because they assist/support people in crisis, and they have helped people dear to me to stay alive. 

AAA is some sort of automobile club where you pay a modest fee, and then when your car or truck breaks down, they'll come get you and haul your rig to the repair shop for free. 
I don't use them. I keep my vehicles and motorcycles in tip-top shape instead, and avoid outside agencies putting their greasy hands on my stuff. 

AAAA is the Army Aviation Association of America. 
Though I have been an Army aviator for well over 40 years, I have never been an member of AAAA. 
I'm not much of a joiner, I guess. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
😬

• Like 1

There is no "official industry standard" that all makers work to, with each vendor determining what each grade is for themselves.  Also, the different makers (Gibson, especially) have had a significant lack of consistency on their grading.   This is what I understand for Gibson:

Grade A - nicely grained, but with no  quilting and/or striping

Grade AA - A good amount of striping , but usually not completely and varies by viewing angle 

Grade AAA - Lots of striping, without the best book matching

Grade AAAA - Lots of striping, and very good book matching

• Thanks 1

Though somewhat evasive, Gibson has defined what the top differences are, sometimes in word and sometimes as illustrations.  Here is an example of one such illustration shown for the 2015 LP Traditional.

WSS_Top_B_t.jpghttp://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

I find any such explanations to be of little use.  From what I have seen, it is no more than a general and loosely followed (or at least highly subjected) scale. 

The 2015 LP Traditional is supposed to have an A+ top.  Here is mine:

ACtC-3eKYfhvdzhu5DG8BJ4XhsWOGQgnelAL1zj5

Judge for yourself, but I can tell you that it is a lot nicer than almost all other 2015 Traditionals I've seen.  I think it is more like AAA, but it is what it is.

Edited by Wmachine