Gibson Brands Forums

hey Firebird dudes

DCBirdMan

Is any one really sure when Gibson later 60s 'narrow neck' period really started? They went down to about 1 9/16th even on some acoustics like B-25s. But electrics also -- like some early SG have a wider neck, and then late 60s for sure it's narrower. Those SG/Melody makers also. But with Firebirds, did the reverse ones -- discontinued mid 1965.. .have a wider neck @ nut than the non reverse ones, that I think were the narrow measure. And there was a long thread going for a couple o years about non reverse Firebird 12s... I know I had an SG Melody Maker 12 with the narrow neck... damn near unplayable for me and I don't have big hands. Was wondering if the Bird 12 also had that narrow neck scene going or if it was up to a more reasonable 1 11/16th.... 1/8" makes huge difference in feel. I think the 335 12 was narrow so it almost stands to reason the Bird 12 was also

I owned, for several years, a '63 Firebird III that had possibly, the biggest neck of any. Very simiar to my fat neck '65 SG special. I really don,t know about the non-reverse modela, but I would guess that the necks get thinner.

I think in '65 the nut width's remained at 1 11/16", but neck shapes trended thinner. In '66 both SG's and firebirds (non reverse) went to 1 9/16", (at least those that I have had experience with). Not sure what happened toward the end of the sixties with these models. I have a 1970 ES 335 and it has both the small nut width and thin neck. Hope that helps

Archived