Gibson Brands Forums

Death.

LarryUK

Not at all brother.

That's the beautiful part of it. We can all believe what ever we want.

You are entitled to your beliefs and you are entitled to express them.

While at the same time,, I am entitled to believe something completely different.

Yup :) And we can both think we're right... but truth is another topic :P

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think I'd get such a response to this post. It proves that death is a major subject. So, Gibson take note. Give all members their guitar of choice and when they die, you get it back aged to perfection. It'd go up in value and be a good seller. One owner, naturally aged.

Who wants one? The only tie is, you can't sell it. It has to go back.

I didn't want to creep folks out yesterday, but my plans are a tad different from most.....

i'm an organ donor, with a special note that my skin is to be taken to help burn victims......we have one of the best burn units in the South, U.A.B. (University of Alabama at Birmingham) burn ward.....and even with the advances in synthetic skins, for the most dire cases, there's still no better temporary solution than cadaver skin.

they'll peel me in micro thin layers, taking as much as is useable.

having been a burn victim more than once, (once severely) if there's ANY comfort I can give others in that situation, i'm more than willing to do it.

Au contraire,,,

If you baked that donut then you are most certainly it's creator and ultimately it's god.

So that would indeed make you superior.

Creating something doesn't make you its God (in my opinion). Though I do think you can make things that are, theoretically, superior to you. I think of Henry James' work and know his work transcends him, transcends his life...his work is the best of him distilled.

This is where the after-life resides. I think legacy is important. With kids its easy because they will remember you. When you don't have kids, you gotta do for society, you gotta leave work behind...you could also leave a legacy of horridness. Hitler and Mother Teresa are on par. It is hard to imagine them going to the same place after death. How unfair if there is no Hell to send Hitler to or Heaven to reward her. That is why we want to believe in after-life. We want to know there was a point.

Creating something doesn't make you its God (in my opinion). Though I do think you can make things that are, theoretically, superior to you. I think of Henry James' work and know his work transcends him, transcends his life...his work is the best of him distilled.

This is where the after-life resides. I think legacy is important. With kids its easy because they will remember you. When you don't have kids, you gotta do for society, you gotta leave work behind...you could also leave a legacy of horridness. Hitler and Mother Teresa are on par. It is hard to imagine them going to the same place after death. How unfair if there is no Hell to send Hitler to or Heaven to reward her. That is why we want to believe in after-life. We want to know there was a point.

Lets face it, very few people will be remembered for any length of time. You only have to visit a grave yard to see that, the graves are adorned with fresh flowers for a couple of years but gradually they become neglected, and eventually those caring for them will pass away.

When visiting my sisters grave last week, I saw something rather chilling. A few rows back there's a headstone for a young girl (18 years old when she died) with a photograph of this healthy looking young girl, in her best dress smiling out. Her grave had been festooned with ribbons etc proclaiming her 21st birthday, it just made me feel very sad.

Ian.

I had a bad ticker and open heart surgery at 46, so I'm not as afraid of dying as I used to be.

Socks the cat has been gone for four days and I buried ol' Corny yesterday. I guess I'm just glad I'm still at the handle end of the shovel.

Here's Corny and Socks back in the day -

DSC_0005.jpg

Socks the cat has been gone for four days and I buried ol' Corny yesterday. I guess I'm just glad I'm still at the handle end of the shovel.

Losin the family petsters is really really hard. I am sorry for your loss.

rct

I had a bad ticker and open heart surgery at 46, so I'm not as afraid of dying as I used to be.

DSC_0005.jpg

Damn BBP... Sorry for the rough week you're having.

Sorry for your loss BadBlues,,,

I feel for you brother. When my cat of 21 yrs passed I missed work. She had a brother

who I lost after only 2 years. He was an awesome cat. A real character.

Ole Corny looks alot like he did. Black and white with white paws. I called him Boxer.

Your Corny reminds me of Boxer.

Condolences dude.

Condolences ...

Sorry to hear that man. I know only too well the feel of that loss..

I don't know what awaits us. I can't force myself to believe, through religious teachings, bandwagon, popular culture or any other outside influence what may or may not await us. I guess I'll find out someday.

Now what I'm about to tell you, I'm sure 90% will call b.s., and that's fine, I probably wouldn't believe it either. But I've got nothing to gain by telling you this, and I run the risk of being though a kook (more so than usual). Doesn't matter. I was there; I know the truth.

Tammie died in January 2011. Everybody is different... I don't function well alone. A few months later I began a horrible abusive relationship with one of her friends, someone I always had a strong friendship with and I thought it was fate that she was single by choice and I was single by unfortunate circumstance. It was awful. I was already a wreck and then to be hooked up with someone domineering and emasculating... not good. The relationship lasted 4 or 5 months and then exploded. Exploded big. Side note, before Tammie died, she looked at me one day and asked "So, are you going to hook up with _____ after I'm gone?" Half joking... half not. I don't think she approved of the notion, joking or not.

I was alone in my bedroom one night, hating the world, everyone in it and also cursing Tammie for leaving me (as if she had a choice with lung cancer that took her in 6 weeks from the biopsy). I spoke aloud to Tammie, calling her every name in the book. Just then I felt almost like a jolt of electricity or a shove or a slap or something, I don't remember, but it stopped me in my tracks... and a voice that I 'felt' rather than heard said "I'M TRYING TO GET YOU BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH."

And something inside me just said to lay low, play it cool, forget about stuff, and things would work out. And they did. It was within a couple weeks I met Penny. Tammie and I used to watch shows like Jerry Springer and when they'd cut to the audience, Tammie would play a little game as to whether I would think the girl was hot. I have a thing for nerdy girls and Tammie would guess right every time.

The circumstances under which I met Penny were out of character for me. Something told me to pursue her. Any other time, I would have not bothered once I got shut down the first time. Something kept pushing me to her, despite her initial reluctance and me beginning to become active in the singles lifestyle once again. Something kept pushing me. It was almost like Tammie picked her.

Call b.s. if you like. I know what happened, whether it was all in my mind or I was truly "contacted".

I don't know what awaits us. I can't force myself to believe, through religious teachings, bandwagon, popular culture or any other outside influence what may or may not await us. I guess I'll find out someday.

Now what I'm about to tell you, I'm sure 90% will call b.s., and that's fine, I probably wouldn't believe it either. But I've got nothing to gain by telling you this, and I run the risk of being though a kook (more so than usual). Doesn't matter. I was there; I know the truth.

Tammie died in January 2011. Everybody is different... I don't function well alone. A few months later I began a horrible abusive relationship with one of her friends, someone I always had a strong friendship with and I thought it was fate that she was single by choice and I was single by unfortunate circumstance. It was awful. I was already a wreck and then to be hooked up with someone domineering and emasculating... not good. The relationship lasted 4 or 5 months and then exploded. Exploded big. Side note, before Tammie died, she looked at me one day and asked "So, are you going to hook up with _____ after I'm gone?" Half joking... half not. I don't think she approved of the notion, joking or not.

I was alone in my bedroom one night, hating the world, everyone in it and also cursing Tammie for leaving me (as if she had a choice with lung cancer that took her in 6 weeks from the biopsy). I spoke aloud to Tammie, calling her every name in the book. Just then I felt almost like a jolt of electricity or a shove or a slap or something, I don't remember, but it stopped me in my tracks... and a voice that I 'felt' rather than heard said "I'M TRYING TO GET YOU BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH."

And something inside me just said to lay low, play it cool, forget about stuff, and things would work out. And they did. It was within a couple weeks I met Penny. Tammie and I used to watch shows like Jerry Springer and when they'd cut to the audience, Tammie would play a little game as to whether I would think the girl was hot. I have a thing for nerdy girls and Tammie would guess right every time.

The circumstances under which I met Penny were out of character for me. Something told me to pursue her. Any other time, I would have not bothered once I got shut down the first time. Something kept pushing me to her, despite her initial reluctance and me beginning to become active in the singles lifestyle once again. Something kept pushing me. It was almost like Tammie picked her.

Call b.s. if you like. I know what happened, whether it was all in my mind or I was truly "contacted".

ksd, I don't think anyone on the forum would ever doubt anything you say, certainly not me.

But, as I said, I do believe. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm naïve or anything else..... no one "knows", we can only 'believe'.

Did Tammie have small cell carcinoma? I had a friend who developed that, and he was gone in about 6 weeks.

I'm glad you got through the end of one relationship, through the abusive relationship and into the one you have with Penny!

You deserve no less.

Did Tammie have small cell carcinoma?

I think that's what it was called. September 2010 she developed a pain in her chest. They gave her antibiotics, thinking it was an infection. Then they guessed pneumonia. October 28th they did a biopsy and called it cancer. November 20-something we went to a cancer center in Brewer, ME for some kind of hopped up $6000 ultrasound. Shortly after that she decided to just be comfortable and not seek any kind of treatment. They gave her 10 months without treatment, 12 to 15 with treatment. She slept most of the time and I used some kind of minty menthol pain cream on her back, put out by Tylenol I think. We went through tube after tube of that, as it did help. It went so far as to sort of give her a contact burn but it helped with the pain. She was only 100 lbs on a good day so she went to 60 quite quickly. The last 24 hours, she was completely incoherent. And I was there when she died. I called a funeral home several hundred miles away, as they offered direct cremation. So she was at the house for a few more hours.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but as long as we're talking about death, some have gone through what I did, some have not. My sage advice to anyone who has not lost a spouse, is this: Take the next couple minutes and rehearse your day. Get up, breakfast, work, whatever. Whatever your day entails. Now picture it without them. Try to imagine not seeing them, not eating with them, not watching tv with them. Try to imagine the details and how you'd feel. I'm here to tell you... it's worse than you can imagine.

Again, sorry for the derail. I have happy memories now, thinking that I survived 23 years with the most vile tempered explosive redhead on the planet! And if she were here right now, she'd back me up on this. [biggrin]

ksdaddy, you're right. I don't fear death myself, but I do fear the death of those around me.

Badbluesplayer, tough break losing two pets in a week. Just losing one is hard enough.

On a lighter note, has anyone else experienced this: I don't fear death, but I fear it may come at a bad time, for instance -- and honest to God this thought has crossed my mind -- I don't want to die before my Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo comes in the mail! :P

Well, I'll start off with saying that I'm a "Christian" however, it's not a religion at all, it's a relationship with God through Christ. Religions are about being a good person and being better then other people and that through those works you can attain something good... i.e. life, heaven etc, etc. But what I believe is that we're all sinners but you don't have to do works or be a "good" person... I think you just have to admit that you're a sinner and believe in Christ as your personal savior (that He came and bore the punishment for our sins so we can have life) and that through that you're saved from sin and death and will one day dwell with God in heaven when you die. Now we all know Christians are sinners just like everyone else, and have done some pretty horrible things at times, but we're just imperfect people and you can't judge God off of the people who claim to follow Him.

Now on to specifics, I believe that God created the earth with no intention of death ever happening but then sin entered through Adam (death being one effect it had). But, I believe that when Christ died and rose again, He defeated that death and I think that through Him we can go do heaven when we die. I think that when we die our soul leaves our body and either goes to heaven or Hell. I don't fear death because I'm confident that through Christ I'm going to heaven to be with God!

I think we do mean something on Earth, I think we're here for a reason. I think we are here to glorify God and build His kingdom... now I agree that one day we are just gone and everything we did just dies with us to a degree... but I think that if what we were doing here on Earth is for God and helping to build up His eternal kingdom then it isn't a waste... the only things I think that would be a waste would be all the things we did for ourselves and building our self up (which is just going to pass away when we die) and not for God.

That's my two cents [tongue]

P.S. I'm not trying to start any sort of argument with anyone, and I certainly hope this didn't come off as arrogant... I don't think I'm a better person than any Atheist, Pantheist or anyone else :)

Rip, I'll add my too cents to yours, I am a Christian also and could quote chapter & verse from the Bible. But in my opinion, qouting words doesn't mean diddly. It is my personal relationship with Christ that makes me not fear death. I'm 60, I've got 2 stents, survived a motorcycle accident and had a minor heart attack last Nov. 1st. Lucky?, no God has a plan for me. He knows the number of my days just as he knows the number of hairs on my head. I do not fear death, my body is just a container for my soul, as a song by Carrie Underwood says "This is my temporary Home", my eternal home will be in Heaven with my Lord.

TC

#18 in the forum rules may be why there isn't more response from Christians. Don't want to get deleted for being too "preachey?"

ps: I am a Christian

TC

Or perhaps it is because Christians cannot agree on what the alternatives are at death. What does eternal life with the Father in Heaven look like? Is the alternative Hell or does the soul simply cease to exist? What does Hell look like. The Jews didn't invent Heaven or Hell; those were concepts that existed before the Jewish religion existed. And Catholic popes, who are infallible, change the doctrine (purgatory and limbo). Do we attain salvation through faith alone or good works? And the Last Judgment? Are we in a torture chamber or the Purgatory Ritz Carlton before we are bussed to God's holy courtroom to be judged? I think that death is far more abstract than the secular imagery assigned to it by Christian artists, poets, and philosophers, assuming there is anything past death.

Rip, I'll add my too cents to yours, I am a Christian also and could quote chapter & verse from the Bible. But in my opinion, qouting words doesn't mean diddly. It is my personal relationship with Christ that makes me not fear death. I'm 60, I've got 2 stents, survived a motorcycle accident and had a minor heart attack last Nov. 1st. Lucky?, no God has a plan for me. He knows the number of my days just as he knows the number of hairs on my head. I do not fear death, my body is just a container for my soul, as a song by Carrie Underwood says "This is my temporary Home", my eternal home will be in Heaven with my Lord.

TC

Yeah man for sure! :)

Or perhaps it is because Christians cannot agree on what the alternatives are at death. What does eternal life with the Father in Heaven look like? Is the alternative Hell or does the soul simply cease to exist? What does Hell look like. The Jews didn't invent Heaven or Hell; those were concepts that existed before the Jewish religion existed. And Catholic popes, who are infallible, change the doctrine (purgatory and limbo). Do we attain salvation through faith alone or good works? And the Last Judgment? Are we in a torture chamber or the Purgatory Ritz Carlton before we are bussed to God's holy courtroom to be judged? I think that death is far more abstract than the secular imagery assigned to it by Christian artists, poets, and philosophers.

Can't tell you what "eternal life with the Father in Heaven looks like" haven't been there yet, but it must be pretty amazing, don't know of anyone that's come back. I am not a Christian artist, poet, or philosopher, Jewish or Catholic, so I have no secular imagery of death, but I have read and studied the Bible and believe it and I think if any others have questions, to do the same with an open mind and heart and all questions will be answered in a satisfactory way. My very humble opinion. I do not apologize for my beliefs, nor do I condemn anyone for theirs. God Bless

TC

If an atheist is wrong....oh man...are THEY in trouble!

Not to get too far off the subject, but I am with fellow atheist Christopher Hitchens on this one. To paraphrase, he said, "no thanks."; the idea of spending eternity worshiping the god of the Torah/Bible/Qur'an didn't sound like much of a heaven to him and it does not sound like heaven to me either.

My problem with some god sitting judgment over us when we die is that it is a cop out. It's an escape hatch the powerful created to say, "Don't punish me now for the evil things I've done. <insert deity here> will judge me." BS! Get your head in the guillotine.

Me? I don't believe in heaven or hell (see my judgment comment above), but I do believe that at the very least our consciousness/energy/soul goes on. Do I have any proof other than a hunch that there is more out there and *a lot* that we don't understand? Nope. I do think our bodies are nothing more than shells so I hope my organs get put to good use after I die and that the soil is well nourished by my rotting corpse.

Archived