Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone understand Nashville Numbers chart system?

livemusic

I am trying to write a Nashville numbers chart and stumped. The song's primary chord is D-minor, so, I just started writing it as being in key of F, with Dm being the 6-minor. But I don't know if I should assume that it is the key of F.

The chords of most of the lines of the verse are Dm, Bb, C, back to Dm. So, that would be 6m-4-5, back to 6m.

But the only reason I chose key of F is because I am accustomed to writing a lot of songs that, as it turns out, start on the 6-minor chord. But how do I know this is not key of Bb and, thus, the D-minor is the 3-minor chord?

LOL, I hope I am making myself clear, I know enough about music theory to be dangerous.

From my experience with the numbering system it is like the fellow said above. The root is the 1 of course but that would be for a major chord or a flat or sharp. You can take a G# and count, the same for say a D flat, but for a minor chord, I would probably stick with the root of your minor. Remember the flattened third is what makes the chord a minor. On the same type logic, a song starting out in D minor, the bass player would be playing a D. I hope I am helping some.

My producer said it is like I had in the first post. The song's "primary" chord (starts the verses and choruses end up there) is D-minor and verse progression is Dm, Bb, C -- relative key is F. So, it starts on 6-minor in Nashville number system. LOL, I'll let you know tomorrow if this chart works or they throw their instruments at me.

• 2 weeks later...

If you take the F major scale... whole step/whole step/ 1/2 step/whole step/whole step/whole step/1/2 step. you have F,G,A,Bb, C,D,E,F. To get the reletive D minor scale start on the sixth degree of the F scale "D" and go.. Whole step,1/2 step, whole step, whole step, 1/2 step, whole step, whole step. D,E,F,G,Bb,C,D. The chords used in the minor scale are i= minor ii=minor III= major iv=minor V= major VI= major VII= maor and the octave vii= minor. So to get F major use W W 1/2 W, W, W,1/2. using the F scale. To get the D minor scale ( the relitive minor scale of "F") use W,W,1/2,W,W,1/2,W,W.1/2 using the D minor scale. Also for the ii chord try using a dim chord or a dmi7 b 5 chord.

Why F? If the sequences resolves to Dm, then it's the "1. " Count off from there.

D minor the i chord of the D minor scale. The sixth degree of the F major scale is D. The F major scale has the same note as the D minor scale. The only thing that changes is the order. F major= F,G,A,Bb,C D,E,F.. D MINOR= D,E,F,G,A,Bb,C,D. The 1, 4,5 of a the F major scale would be F Bb C. THE 1, 4, 5, of the D minor scale would be...D minor, G minor, A minor. Both of these chord progresins have one Bb in the key sig.

I think is kinda funky for minor chords - you number 1 from the relative major chord. F in this case, so yes the Dm would be 6m. I think....

D minor chord in the D minor scale would be the i or "1" chord or the first degree of D minor. The D minor in the F major scale would be the vi or "6" chord or the 6th degree of the F major scale. Notice that the i (1) degree chord of D minor and the vi (6) degree of F major are both minor chords. Also see that there is a Bb in F major and a Bb in D minor.

Archived