Gibson Brands Forums

Help on Songmaker Series

Luke Bizzy

I'm interested in looking at the non-cutaway version of this guitar. Due to budgetary restrictions, I will have access to only the lower echelon Gibbys. The price of this series is in line with what I can afford right now. I've had the Gibson bug for decades but only now at a point to where I can spring for one of the less expensive models.

My plan would be to find a dealer close by and see how it felt/sounded. I would appreciate any feedback here from anyone on this forum experienced with this line.

I have searched and read a few posts on it, but need more.

Have really enjoyed reading you folks' posts; I visit daily, though don't have a lot of experience to post much yet.

Thanks,

Luke

I owned a Songmaker Acoustic/Electric Mahogany Cutaway. I sold to fund a Gibson Songwriter Mahogany. The Songmaker guitars are sold well made guitars. The guitars are solid spruce tops with solid mahogany or rosewood backs and sides. Scalloped bracing on the top. The only change in design from from other Gibsons is that the Songmaker line has a bolt on neck. The neck is a bit bigger/wider because of the 1.75" nut. That is the nuts and bolts of the guitar.

The guitar was very comfortable to play. Good tone. Since I had a mahogany model it was not as booming as the rosewood but the string to string balance was pleasing. I would have loved to have kept the guitar for my 10 year old son to play but my budget is limited. The guitar had to go to fund the Songwriter. I have owned Epiphone Masterbilts. That was the guitars I started off with. Well built guitars for a $500 price point. I found the Eppis tone got muddy when attacked hard. The Songmaker holds up very well to hard strumming, so I consider it a step up from the Masterbilts. The 1.75" nut on the Songmaker is ideal for fingerpicking. I think if you are looking for a new guitar in the $1000 range the Songmakers are a fine instrument. Used you can snag one for about $600.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your input. Being a hacker/hobbiest, this sounds like a good way to finally get into the Gibson family. The fingerpicking sized nut is especially interesting to me.

I'm in NW Alabama, looking for a dealer close by that might carry this guitar. Might have to go up to Nashvegas to find one.

Again, I appreciate your response to my post.

Luke

Rob' date='

Thanks for your input. Being a hacker/hobbiest, this sounds like a good way to finally get into the Gibson family. The fingerpicking sized nut is especially interesting to me.

Luke[/quote']

That is the way I viewed the Songmaker series. I am sure that is also the way that Gibson views it too.

Rob

Archived