Gibson Brands Forums

L5 String Performance

AusiRob

I have been playing an ES345 since 1977 and love that guitar, however, I recently purchased a new L5CES from the custom shop. It is strung with pure nickel round wound strings. Love the tone but getting a lot of string scratch when I slide on chords. Would like to stick to round wounds for brightness but willing to have a go at flat wounds. I mainly want to use the L5 for chord solo work. I have tried string lubricant and talc powder on my finger tips with very little improvement. I am using a Fender Twin amp and I like to use a little reverb and presence. Any suggestions? PS, never had this problem with the ES345 so it is obviously the acoustic vibrance of the L5 that is causing the string noise.

Try some flatwounds, give them a chance and see if you can adjust to them. When using rounds, you could try rolling off some treble (especially since you're using a bright amp light a blackface Fender); and when using flatwounds, you might be able to go with more treble. Basically, just experiment. I've been using flatwounds on my jazz guitars for many years, and have always loved them.

I have been playing an ES345 since 1977 and love that guitar, however, I recently purchased a new L5CES from the custom shop. It is strung with pure nickel round wound strings. Love the tone but getting a lot of string scratch when I slide on chords. Would like to stick to round wounds for brightness but willing to have a go at flat wounds. I mainly want to use the L5 for chord solo work. I have tried string lubricant and talc powder on my finger tips with very little improvement. I am using a Fender Twin amp and I like to use a little reverb and presence. Any suggestions? PS, never had this problem with the ES345 so it is obviously the acoustic vibrance of the L5 that is causing the string noise.

This works for me on a similar type guitar (Super 400 CES) for that type of playing:

- Addario Chromes 12-52 with the high E and B string from a 13-56 set

- or Pyramid Flats 13-52

- then, turn the neck pickup tone down to 3-5

I find that with round wounds or even half rounds, the guitar is too loud and "accoustic" sounding, whereas the flats will give a smoother jazzier tone, yet no noise from hand action.

Hannu

Fitted some D Addario Chromes today and very happy with the results. I have been playing an ES345 for the last 26 years and from time to time I had fitted flatwounds but always felt the tone was a bit "thumpy" on the bass strings. This does not seem to happen on the L5, so it seems to me that the acoustic properties of the L5 lift the tone and give more vibrance to the flatwound strings on the L5. Getting a nice jazz tone and feel now with no string scratch.

Fitted some D Addario Chromes today and very happy with the results. I have been playing an ES345 for the last 26 years and from time to time I had fitted flatwounds but always felt the tone was a bit "thumpy" on the bass strings. This does not seem to happen on the L5, so it seems to me that the acoustic properties of the L5 lift the tone and give more vibrance to the flatwound strings on the L5. Getting a nice jazz tone and feel now with no string scratch.

It seems some archtop guitars just do sound better with 'em. I have a lovely Knight guitar with a wooden bridge and it comes alive with flats. I'm using Thomastik at the moment but looking to try some of those La Bella black nylon strings that L5Larry likes....except they're nearly £20 (GBP) a set over here!

Archived