Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucking pickup rings for Les Paull???

trapdoorspider

Where on earth can I find cream-colored humbucking pickup rings with CURVED BOTTOMS to fit a Les Paul? My Studio came with black rings, and I want to replace them with CREAM-colored rings, pickguard, etc. Not sure how that will look, but at least I want to try. But every online dealer and everybody on eBay seems to sell FLAT-bottomed rings. Who's got the curved version in the cream color? Anybody??? Many thanks, Michael:-k

Who's got the curved version in the cream color?

NOBODY. Gibson does not make, or sell, pickup rings with a contoured bottom. Even on their most expensive archtops they just bend the rings across the arch.

It's a very slow and tedious process to custom contour the bottom of the surrounds, but not hard to do. Any good guitar tech in your area should be able to do this for you. I have refitted both my L-5 and my ES-345 in this manner.

Larry is right. you don't buy curved bottom rings. there are some made aftermarket, but they don't always match the curve of your top. you just get flat rings and gently screw them down. a couple of days later, check and you may have to screw them a little further. just go easy.

this is how it's been done for 50 years.

Many thanks, gentlemen. I guess I sounded pretty stupid, but I haven't yet taken off the old pickup rings, so wasn't sure how flexible that plastic really was. It looks fairly rigid, but I guess it's not. (And I've had some bad experiences with bending or forcing things to fit into place — hasn't everyone?). I'll just get some flat rings somewhere and follow your advice. - Michael

To actually answer your question-

Here are two separate vendors who provide cream colored curved bottom pickup rings:

Bottom left hand corner of this page:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/covers_plasticrings.htm

Or this item at Allparts:

http://www.allparts.com/store/pickup-covers-rings-parts-pickup-rings-pc-0733-028,Product.asp

:-k/

My Studio came with black rings' date=' and I want to replace them with [u']CREAM[/u]-colored rings, pickguard, etc.

Hi!

I too have a Studio with black hw and want to change it all to cream. I have all the cream hw already but still didn't had the time (or courage) to change it all. Please let me know how it went when you're done and take pictures.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this! I have 2 cracked rings on a '60 reissue with a seriously arched top, and I was going to ask around to see if anyone had these. I just ordered the rings from guitarpartsresource.com. Will report back on how they fit / match to the switch ring (no pick guard on this guitar)...

• 11 years later...

I bought one of the first Epiphone 59 RIs, pre-ordered in January, recieved it in August. Great guitar, but the Burstbuckers do not fit in Probucker rings, so I called Gibson, and they sent me a new set and it seems that the portion of each ring facing the middle,( the biggest part of the belly, is indeed curved, while the side of each facing away from the middle looks flat, which makes sense to me. I'm going to install then tomorrow, and they look as though they'll fit perfectly, I hope so, as both long sides of each ring have an 1/8-3/16' gap between the pup, and the ring, which looks like crap. Otherwise, the only other thing on the axe that's not perfect is the fact they changed the Fretboards from Rosewood to Indian Laurel after I paid for it, which doesn't bother me due to the Laurel looking like the same grain, and color as all my Rosewood boards, and I can't hear, nor feel any difference.

Peace, Keith