Gibson Brands Forums

Uncommon Gibson Classic Custom, 3 PUs

AmonRe

Hey!

Cool to be here in the forum.

I bought a Gibson Les Paul "Classic Custom" with 3 PUs 3 month ago...

I really love the sound...I really love the look.

But I really have problem with its intonation...

If I strum the strings a little to hard or bend the neck slightly it's out of tune.

What can I do to stabilize its intonation? Any common tips? Any possible hardware changes?

Is it a regular model? Here are 2 pics:

gib1mj2.th.jpg

gib2wc1.th.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

AmonRe

I bought a Gibson Les Paul "Classic Custom" with 3 PUs 3 month ago...

I really love the sound...I really love the look.

But I really have problem with its intonation...

If I strum the strings a little to hard or bend the neck slightly it's out of tune.

What can I do to stabilize its intonation? Any common tips? Any possible hardware changes?

1) Perhaps you're playing too hard. When you hit the strings heavily' date=' it causes them to stretch for a moment and sound (be) out of tune. Try playing lighter or using heavier strings.

2) Don't bend the neck. Nothing good can come from that.

I love the way the white has faded' date=' every time I see this on a older guitar it sends chills down my back. Its something that the new old guitars can never match; they might get close to the color due to manufactured weathering to pretend its a older guitar. Aging like this in a real older guitar just adds character, plain and simple...............[/quote']

That's a new guitar. The binding on my Custom, which I bought brand new back in '92, isn't anywhere near as dark as the binding on his guitar.

1) After restringing be sure your strings are stretched properly.

2) Always tune up to the desired note, so there is no slack in the tuning gears.

3) Make sure the nut is claean and free of debris.

4) Check intonation... <<<---GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.

5) Do not listen to :oilpit:

.................................................................................................................................

Thanks for your fast answers...

Yeah...I'm really fascinated too - although it is a new guitar model it absolutely gives the impression of being rather old...

I use 11-49 strings usually ...sometimes 10s...depends...

As I'm not a native speaker I may have used the wrong words...Of course I do not "bend" the neck...

I played PRS in the studio and on stage for years...I'm not perfectly used to the common gibson type mechanics and hardware...

The distance between fret and string on the 12th fret is about 3 mm I think... There was a lot of fret buzz when I got it new...

I will give it to a local music shop soon - anything that should be concerned when setting the guitar? Any suggestions?

BTW I think it's this model:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/LesPaul/Classics/Les%20Paul%20Classic%20Custom/

Have been told that the 3 PU version was made for some europe dealers...

They're for sale here in the USA also. I don't care for the 3 pickup version. IMHO it's unnecessary. Does anyone here who owns a 3 pups Les Paul get much different or better tone than a 2 pup LP? 3 pups is also a lot of magnetic pull on the strings. I think it would diminish sustain.

AmonRe, Welcome to the forum! My belief is this;

1) Perhaps you're playing too hard. When you hit the strings heavily, it causes them to stretch for a moment and sound (be) out of tune. Try playing lighter or using heavier strings.

AND this;

1) After restringing be sure your strings are stretched properly.

2) Always tune up to the desired note, so there is no slack in the tuning gears.

3) Make sure the nut is claean and free of debris.

4) Check intonation... <<<---GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.

5) Do not listen to :oilpit:

Axe and RichCI are dead on. Once you verify the above and amend where necessary, I believe you'll find you have a great guitar. The looks are smokin'! :-k Good luck.

SilverLesterStd

like on your prs there are two different bridge pieces, the stop bar and the tune-o-matic bridge. the tune o matic is the one closer to the pickups and has two post that it is connected to. if you turn these to the left with a screw driver it will raise your bridge up and shoould take away the buzzing. the buzzing is because when you hit the strings the are vibrating against the frets causing the buzz. rasing the bridge wil make the strings farther away from the frets. you will then need to re intonate it. you do this by adjusting the saddles on the tune o matic bridge which the strings go over. you adjust them with the screws going along one side of the bridge. when you are intonating it you want the strings to be in tune when you strum one open and when its on the twelth fret.

it is hard to explain how to do this with just words. try going to youtube.com and look up guitar set up. you should get a bunch of videos showing you how to do it.

good luck

like on your prs there are two different bridge pieces' date=' the stop bar and the tune-o-matic bridge. the tune o matic is the one closer to the pickups and has two post that it is connected to. if you turn these to the left with a screw driver it will raise your bridge up and shoould take away the buzzing.[/quote']

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

They're for sale here in the USA also. I don't care for the 3 pickup version. IMHO it's unnecessary. Does anyone here who owns a 3 pups Les Paul get much different or better tone than a 2 pup LP? 3 pups is also a lot of magnetic pull on the strings. I think it would diminish sustain.

I think Peter Frampton would disagree with you...

what AXE what!?! 0 - 0 what did i do wrong? tell me so that i may learn more.

I think he means the screwdriver to the tune-o-matic (which is actually an ABR-1 on that model)...to adjust the height on a t-o-m you turn the knurled adjusters that are under the bridge...then you have to recheck the intonation.

I believe the posts you were refering to using a screwdriver on are the ones that hold the stop bar tailpiece in place...that's a definite no-no.

But then I could be totally missing what he said...

Archived