Gibson Brands Forums

Suspicious LPC

Colibri

I got this 10 years ago, it never comes out of the case....

Until yesterday.

I know a bit more about guitars now and I have doubts as to whether it's fake or not.

I know a little bit about it, for one the serial numbers 022800-028805 and 022807-022899 were LP Classics in gold, vintage sunburst, lightburst, and cherry sunburst finishes. Just no record of 022806 and none in a solid finish.

The inlays look to be standard for a Les Paul Classic (the greenish color).

The frets are finished like Gibson frets, with the binding nuts over the fret ends.

The pots in the cavity look okay.

The inside of the pickup routes don't appear to indicate that the guitar has been refinished.

The serial number doesn't match anything in Gibson's data base, but does fall in a range of serial numbers that were used.

The knobs aren't standard for a Les Paul Classic.

The silkscreen "Les Paul Classic" looks okay.

The penciled markings are not familiar to me, but the LPC should refer to "Les Paul Classic". I have seen some with pencil markings that are similar, however.

To my knowledge, there weren't any Classics done in solid red color, but anything can happen at Gibson with special runs, etc

So - I think it is a bonafide Les Paul Classic, probably from late 90's or early 2000's, but I cannot be completely sure, with changed knobs and perhaps refinished (but again, maybe not).

Here's the pics.

post-60359-020268100 1383680291_thumb.jpg

post-60359-009254400 1383680293_thumb.jpg

post-60359-022619800 1383680294_thumb.jpg

post-60359-094426300 1383680295_thumb.jpg

post-60359-090981700 1383680296_thumb.jpg

post-60359-093319300 1383680297_thumb.jpg

... The serial number doesn't match anything in Gibson's data base, but does fall in a range of serial numbers that were used. ....

I hope you're not talking about Guitar Dater. That is not a data base of Gibson serials (Gibson doesn't share that info), it's a decoder and because you have a 6 digit serial (as in the screwed up 60s) it can't decode.

Looks like a genuine 2002 Les Paul Classic to me with a legit 6 digit Classic serial# - first two numbers is the year followed by a 4 digit production rank.

email service@gibson.com with the serial and a couple pics (2mb limit) and they should be able to verify the authenticity of the guitar.

Nothing remotely dodgy-looking about it to me either.

Some details are hard to see clearly as the 'horizontal' snaps are so small but the wiring, ABR-1 bridge; 'aged' traps; correct serial numbering (and typeface) would be correct for a 2002 Classic.

The TRC has, obviously, been replaced with a standard Gibson blank example, the knobs, as you know, have been changed and it would almost certainly have come with un-covered p'ups.

Pencil/pen/ink stamp markings inside the p'up cavities are the norm for Classics.

Not that it's any guarantee of authenticity, of course, but FWIW I've never heard of anyone with a fake LP Classic.

Counterfeiters tend to make Standards, "Supromes", Customs etc., but not, AFAI have seen, Classics.

P.

I experienced that typical S/N decoders can't handle Gibson Custom Shop serial numbers, so only the Gibson Customer Service can help.

I see it has the traditional ABR-1 bridge widely used on Custom Shop Gibsons. Does it have an aluminum lightweight tailpiece, too? All the hardware should be nickel plated to my knowledge.

By the way, nothing looks anyhow suspicious to me.

Archived