Gibson Brands Forums

20th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue

Rabs

Not that id ever buy one.. But that sure is purrdy :) (I wonder how many of the tops will actually look like that :-k )

20th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue

$10,588

•One-piece Mahogany back with unique figured Maple top

•Bound Rosewood fingerboard with nitrocellulose trapezoid Inlays

•Pair of powerful Custom Bucker pickups in the neck and bridge positions

•Nickel plated ABR-1 bridge with lightweight aluminum stop bar tailpiece

•Kluson™ Deluxe “green-key” tuners with 12:1 tuning ratio

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/20th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue.aspx

LPR920SBNH1-Finish_zps1e660747.jpg

LPR920SBNH1-Back_zps54b5bcbd.jpg

LPR920SBNH1-Glam_zps255320e6.jpg

I always thought that each and every massive maple top is unique somehow... [rolleyes]

Maple tops with a stunningly similar look I only saw on tops of instruments veneered with slices from the same piece of maple up to now.

Worth reading Gibson's blurb on this one! Limited run of 100 instruments only, hence the price, and -

"Gibson Custom also includes a wealth of 20th Anniversary collateral: a “retro” logo dust cover, commemorative stamped “20th Anniversary” toggle switch access cover medallion (with a spare historic plastic cover in the case), hand-written Certificate of Authenticity print, and a pair of white gloves for those who want to use extra caution when handling this rare piece of history."

My italics.

Didn't one of the signed Page models come in a glass display case?

...I wonder how many of the tops will actually look like that :-k...

As Cap has already suggested, just that one....lol!

Didn't one of the signed Page models come in a glass display case?

Didn't the signed-and-aged versions also came with a 'Re-Issue' violin bow?. Seriously!......................:-k

I'm glad they include all of the important stuff...

[lol]

The price tag is so high because Tom Murphy painted the tops. The small run of Historics that he painted in 1993 command a premium...

Don't I know it. He painted the first 100 R9's ever made by the Historic Division. Mine is No. 131..........[crying]

I want one...

I wouldn't say no either.....

Nice!

[thumbup]

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't actually think the price is outrageous. Convert it into £GBP, take a little off for the street price, not as much as usual given the limited run, it's not actually a million miles from an R9 price. Add the fact that they are Murphy finished and I think they might actually be under charging.

Painted?

I didn't want to cause alarm by saying 'He dyed'............lol!

But yes, he painted.

Not as a still-life study, of course, but yes. Really.

He did the spray-job on the first hundred R9s. He's done some since but I think just 30 or so at a time.

P.

I don't get the whole Tom Murphy thing. Tom Murphy the photographer, yes, I get it, we've sat and had a beer at Old Faithful, I get his thing. But not the other Tom Murphy. Guitars don't know who painted them, and the audience gives not one p1ss about the paint on our guitars. I just don't get it is all.

rct

I didn't want to cause alarm by saying 'He dyed'............lol!

But yes, he painted.

Not as a still-life study, of course, but yes. Really.

He did the spray-job on the first hundred R9s. He's done some since but I think just 30 or so at a time.

P.

What does it involve?

I mean there are "paint jobs" and paint jobs, so to speak.

Did he just "bring out the flame" or did he "create the flame". In the case of the former, that strikes me as acceptable, in the case of the latter, well, it is just fake in my book.

What does it involve? I mean there are "paint jobs" and paint jobs, so to speak.

Did he just "bring out the flame" or did he "create the flame". In the case of the former, that strikes me as acceptable, in the case of the latter, well, it is just fake in my book.

With all due respect, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here, Pin.

From what has been written Murphy was the actual individual who sprayed the 'burst pattern on those guitars mentioned previously.

I'm not taliking about either 'bringing-out' or 'creating-the-flame'. He actually wielded the spray-guns and painted those instruments.

After which, he aged some of those instruments to look like they were 40-or-so years old.

Murphy used to work for Gibson as an employee -- predominantly in repair and restoration of original vintage instruments - just in case you didn't already know (but I'm sure you did).

Originally he had been working to repair broken vintage instruments in such a manner that the repairs were so invisible as to be in keeping with the guitar's age hence his fascination with 'proper' age-ing.

With the success he encountered on showing his sympathetically restored/repaired instruments he thought along the lines of 'Why not make a new guitar look like a real 40-y-o instrument?'

The rest, as they say....

Murphy's involvement with Gibson is a very long and interesting story so perhaps in this instance Google might be your friend?

P.

Yes and look at the prices! $8k and $11k!

What I wish is that someone could sit down with one Les Paul from every year since humbuckers, play the exact same thing on each one for 2 minutes through the same amp and film it all so we could all hear and judge for ourselves exactly what is truth and what is b.s. in all of this...Does a Bloomfield LP sound so different from a Kossoff, a Pearly Gates or a 'Hotel California'? The 'Redeye' is based on Ed King's LP (Lynyrd Skynyrd). But they're all sunburst h/b LPs......

With all due respect, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here, Pin.

From what has been written Murphy was the actual individual who sprayed the 'burst pattern on those guitars mentioned previously.

I'm not taliking about either 'bringing-out' or 'creating-the-flame'. He actually wielded the spray-guns and painted those instruments.

After which, he aged some of those instruments to look like they were 40-or-so years old.

Murphy used to work for Gibson as an employee -- predominantly in repair and restoration of original vintage instruments - just in case you didn't already know (but I'm sure you did).

Originally he had been working to repair broken vintage instruments in such a manner that the repairs were so invisible as to be in keeping with the guitar's age hence his fascination with 'proper' age-ing.

With the success he encountered on showing his sympathetically restored/repaired instruments he thought along the lines of 'Why not make a new guitar look like a real 40-y-o instrument?'

The rest, as they say....

Murphy's involvement with Gibson is a very long and interesting story so perhaps in this instance Google might be your friend?

P.

Thanks Pippy.

I get it now.

I can be incredibly thick at times (embarrassingly so).

I have heard of Tom Murphy but I shall take your advice and do some reading.

• 2 months later...

I don't get the whole Tom Murphy thing. Tom Murphy the photographer, yes, I get it, we've sat and had a beer at Old Faithful, I get his thing. But not the other Tom Murphy. Guitars don't know who painted them, and the audience gives not one p1ss about the paint on our guitars. I just don't get it is all.

rct

Take a marketing class at your local community college. That might help clear it up for you. B)

Archived