Gibson Brands Forums

30th Anniversary Custom SG TV Yellow

Jhexp

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying one of these guitars, I've always owned Strats and this will be my first Gibson. The one I'm looking is in great shape, I've checked the serial number and it's all good but one thing bothers me. Every picture I've seen of the back of the headstock has Made in USA under the serial number, this one doesn't. Just wondering if from the 300 or so reportedly made of these some have Made in USA and some don't?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks pretty good to me, nothing jumps out a me but you might want to see what other people say about it. It might be worth the money but out of curiosity, why not get a new SG Standard? It would be half the price and would allow you to play an SG for a while and see how you like them. You would also have the piece of mind knowing that it is an authentic Gibson if you buy from an authorized dealer.

It looks pretty good to me, nothing jumps out a me but you might want to see what other people say about it. It might be worth the money but out of curiosity, why not get a new SG Standard? It would be half the price and would allow you to play an SG for a while and see how you like them. You would also have the piece of mind knowing that it is an authentic Gibson if you buy from an authorized dealer.

Thanks for the reply. I've loved these ones ever since I first saw one years ago. I have played SG's quite a lot, friends ones but never owned one. I'll be honest, the whole Baked Maple or whatever theyre using on fretboards is kind turning me off new Gibsons.

1384687669[/url]' post='1450449']

Thanks for the reply. I've loved these ones ever since I first saw one years ago. I have played SG's quite a lot, friends ones but never owned one. I'll be honest, the whole Baked Maple or whatever theyre using on fretboards is kind turning me off new Gibsons.

The SG standards are now Rosewood. Also, since Gibson resolved it's legal issues, they got all the Rosewood back. I do not believe there are currently using any baked maple or Grenadillo boards.

[thumbup]

Well, to each his/her own. But, I'd play a few, before you make any

determination, about fingerboards. One of my SG's (Satin '61), and

one of my Les Paul's (Classic Custom, Gold Top) both have "baked Maple"

finger boards, and (frankly), I love 'em! [thumbup] They have the feel,

sustain, tonality, and speed, of Ebony, to me.

I really wouldn't mind if Gibson offered "Baked Maple" as an option,

when ordering a guitar. I suppose, they do...for Custom Shop work,

if requested. But, it might be nice, to have that, in the USA line,

as well. Just a thought...

CB

[thumbup]

Well, to each his/her own. But, I'd play a few, before you make any

determination, about fingerboards. One of my SG's (Satin '61), and

one of my Les Paul's (Classic Custom, Gold Top) both have "baked Maple"

finger boards, and (frankly), I love 'em! [thumbup] They have the feel,

sustain, tonality, and speed, of Ebony, to me.

I really wouldn't mind if Gibson offered "Baked Maple" as an option,

when ordering a guitar. I suppose, they do...for Custom Shop work,

if requested. But, it might be nice, to have that, in the USA line,

as well. Just a thought...

CB

You're right, but I jsut want a Rosewood board, always have wanted when when I finally come to get a Gibson. Nothing against Maple. Was maple used on custom shop VOS guitars or just the standard Gibsons?

Rosewood and Ebony, were the "standard" fingerboard material, for decades!

They've offered regular maple, and other's for "special models, or limited

runs, previously. But, Rosewood & Ebony, are still the traditional standard

materials.

I just think it's nice, to know about, and have the options, of other great

materials. So, that was one "good" thing, to come out of a bad situation,

at least. Other guitar makers have used those "alternatives" quite often,

as well, over the years, even without "having to," due to any legal, or import

problems.

It's all good! [biggrin]

CB

You're right, but I jsut want a Rosewood board, always have wanted when when I finally come to get a Gibson. Nothing against Maple. Was maple used on custom shop VOS guitars or just the standard Gibsons?

I would bet money that Gibson did not use maple boards for most if not all Custom Shop models as most of those models are meant to be reproductions of older guitars. Also, only the least expensive of the Gibson USA models seemed to use maple or grenadillo and most of those were the faded type finishes I believe although I have seen some on guitars with glossy finishes. But, most of those guitars were very inexpensive in comparison to anything else Gibson was selling at the time and most of them seem to have come out in or about 2012. I do have two cheaper SG's from 2011 and 2012 and they both have rosewood boards.

Thanks for the replies!! Well the TV Yellow is out, I'm in Australia and it's going to cost me nearly $1k just to ship it and import fees:(

But, I went to a few stores today and fell in love with 2 SG's... The first was a new Gibson Original, never heard of these but it was a really nice player and looked great. The other was a used 2011 custom shop VOS SG, this one was also nice to play, not alot of difference pricewise either. Got some decisions to make now.... [biggrin]

Thanks for the replies!! Well the TV Yellow is out, I'm in Australia and it's going to cost me nearly $1k just to ship it and import fees:(

But, I went to a few stores today and fell in love with 2 SG's... The first was a new Gibson Original, never heard of these but it was a really nice player and looked great. The other was a used 2011 custom shop VOS SG, this one was also nice to play, not alot of difference pricewise either. Got some decisions to make now.... [biggrin]

Well, IF the CS VOS version is in great condition, and "not much more" price wise,

than the new "Original," I think "I'd" get the VOS! "Originals" are GREAT guitars,

(I own one)...but they will be around, for awhile (I think), and can be purchased

(if you decide you want one) at a later date. A good CS VOS are more hit and miss,

in availability, especially at decent prices. [biggrin]

Good Luck, on a difficult decision!

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Well, IF the CS VOS version is in great condition, and "not much more" price wise,

than the new "Original," I think "I'd" get the VOS! "Originals" are GREAT guitars,

(I own one)...but they will be around, for awhile (I think), and can be purchased

(if you decide you want one) at a later date. A good CS VOS are more hit and miss,

in availability, especially at decent prices. [biggrin]

Good Luck, on a difficult decision!

CB

Hey, CB, do you think that the SG Originals made it into the 2014 lineup?

Well, they're still on the Gibson website, with no idication, of them being

"out of production," so...Let's Hope So! It's simply a Great, Great Guitar!! [thumbup]

CB

Yes, I believe it's almost as good as the Les Paul SG. How are you getting on with your new one?

Yes, I believe it's almost as good as the Les Paul SG. How are you getting on with your new one?

Actually, I LOVE them (ALL)! LOL I played the newest ('61 Les Paul SG)

all weekend, here at the house. Luckly, I live in a house, in a sparse

neighborhood, so "cranking it up," has never been a problem. So, I've had

fun, with all the "tones," through my various amps (Fender, Vox, Marshall).

It sounded great, in all cases! [thumbup] Oddly enough, I probably still play

the '61 "Satin" finish version the most. It was my "first" SG, this time

around, so I suppose that's a factor, as well. Plus, the Satin finish doesn't

fingerprint, or get "sticky" on the back of then neck, like the "new" glossy

one's tend to do (until they're properly "worn in," at least). But, they ALL

will be played. The difficulty (if one would even dare to call it that), is

going to be deciding "which one?" [biggrin][flapper]

But, yeah...the newest one is Awesome...just like the other's!

I feel totally SG "Crazed," as well as "Blessed!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Actually, I LOVE them (ALL)! LOL I played the newest ('61 Les Paul SG)

all weekend, here at the house. Luckly, I live in a house, in a sparse

neighborhood, so "cranking it up," has never been a problem. So, I've had

fun, with all the "tones," through my various amps (Fender, Vox, Marshall).

It sounded great, in all cases! [thumbup] Oddly enough, I probably still play

the '61 "Satin" finish version the most. It was my "first" SG, this time

around, so I suppose that's a factor, as well. Plus, the Satin finish doesn't

fingerprint, or get "sticky" on the back of then neck, like the "new" glossy

one's tend to do (until they're properly "worn in," at least). But, they ALL

will be played. The difficulty (if one would even dare to call it that), is

going to be deciding "which one?" [biggrin][flapper]

But, yeah...the newest one is Awesome...just like the other's!

I feel totally SG "Crazed," as well as "Blessed!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Crazed is a good word for me but obsessed is more accurate, not going into any detail now but....

Archived