Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Advanced Jumbo (AJ)??

krbagman

Interesting. The picture certainly question the conventional wisdom which says that the old guitars were lighter built than the new ones. In thee pictures, the older guitars appear to be much heavier braced.

P

The tops are thinner.

Best,

-Tom

Am I right, that the aj and the j-35 have the same x-bracing pattern? When did another x-bracing configuration appear on Gibsons? Do the banner j-45 still have the advanced x-bracing (sorry if this was brought up before)

And Dave, does yours have a adi top? Grain looks wide in the pictures.

AAA Sitka Spruce Top & Walnut Back and Sides

How'd you do that ? "Hillbilly X-Ray" - love it.

I added a couple led lights inside , put a sound hole plug in place , set my camera on night mode and then turned the lights off. I've always liked Bill's pictures and was trying to emulate him. I think I hit it pretty close. I've still have to work on the inside pictures to catch up with him I'm trying to do it without mirrors

I added a couple led lights inside , put a sound hole plug in place , set my camera on night mode and then turned the lights off. I've always liked Bill's pictures and was trying to emulate him. I think I hit it pretty close. I've still have to work on the inside pictures to catch up with him I'm trying to do it without mirrors

Genius I tell ya. Genius!

j35inside.jpg

These early J-35s were indeed not scalloped.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Hey Tom, how do you take these pictures of the insides of a guitar? Looks like you have three long rectangular mirrors that you lay on the back of the guitar. I tried getting pictures of my AJ's bracing this weekend with a small circular mirror on a stick, but couldn'tget anything decent.

Hey Tom, how do you take these pictures of the insides of a guitar? Looks like you have three long rectangular mirrors that you lay on the back of the guitar. I tried getting pictures of my AJ's bracing this weekend with a small circular mirror on a stick, but couldn'tget anything decent.

That is what it is. Stew Mac sells them.

Best,

-Tom

Archived