Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Tele What should I buy.

fretplay

This is the one that did it for me.

It's got the twang, variable radius frets are real nice, contoured heel, tapered belly cut out, tone by pass switch and the looks do it for me.

I play it through a '65 Reverb Deluxe RI.

After I got this, I sold off all my solid bodies - my VG Strat, Jap Strat, Hagstrom,Tele Bender and LP Custom. I knew I would never play them again.

IMG_0042.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's got the twang, variable radius frets are real nice, contoured heel, tapered belly cut out, tone by pass switch and the looks do it for me.

After I got this, I sold off all my solid bodies - my VG Strat, Jap Strat, Hagstrom,Tele Bender and LP Custom. I knew I would never play them again.

IMG_0042.jpg

Wonderful looks! [thumbup] I never before saw a Telecaster with both birdseye maple neck and flame maple top. Definitely stunning, and I read out of your words that the sound must be exciting, too.

Wonderful looks! [thumbup] I never before saw a Telecaster with both birdseye maple neck and flame maple top. Definitely stunning, and I read out of your words that the sound must be exciting, too.

The back's not too shabby either

IMG_0045.jpg

don't get anything w/the N3 Noiseless p'ups if Twang is what you seek......a nice Broadcaster p'up or something similar would be better.

my "Twangocasters"

GarysCam192.jpg

before you ask, the cable has a "killswitch" end, the 90 degree cable has a short shaft, the brass coupler is what it is.....

GarysCam272.jpg

I built (assembled) these 2 & the amp behind them...couldn't resist an amber quilt Tele body.

don't get anything w/the N3 Noiseless p'ups if Twang is what you seek......a nice Broadcaster p'up or something similar would be better.

my "Twangocasters"

GarysCam192.jpg

before you ask, the cable has a "killswitch" end, the 90 degree cable has a short shaft, the brass coupler is what it is.....

GarysCam272.jpg

I built (assembled) these 2 & the amp behind them...couldn't resist an amber quilt Tele body.

The quilt tops are really nice - what timbers are the bodies made of?

I also had my doubts about the N3 Noiseless pickups initially, but the beauty is in the ear of the beholder, and they totally convinced me when checking out a bunch of Telecasters.

Nice Tele, Twiz! [thumbup]

Yeah Twiz, that's a nice looking twangster.

It's kind of funny but a lot of the MIM that I find on the local craigslist are black. You don't see the sunbursts too much.

Thanks guys. Yea, the bursts are a little more rare on the used market. I see them every once in a while, but it's usually black or red that comes up most often. If I ever spot a white one with a maple neck, I'll snag it.

Indeed! [thumbup] Too bad to waste such awesome looks for a back... [biggrin]

Is the body made of stained ash?

Chambered Ash with Flame Maple Top

Here's the specs

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telecaster/fender-select-telecaster-birdseye-maple-fingerboard-violin-burst/

This is last years model. When they started this Select line they said they would only run for one year then new models would take over.

I did notice that my local Sam Ash started clearing out the 2012 Select Strats, but not the Select Teles. I haven't looked there in a few months.

IMG_0042.jpg

Wow...

Drool!

Amazing looking Twanger ya' got there Dave.

Chambered Ash with Flame Maple Top

Here's the specs

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telecaster/fender-select-telecaster-birdseye-maple-fingerboard-violin-burst/

This is last years model. When they started this Select line they said they would only run for one year then new models would take over.

I did notice that my local Sam Ash started clearing out the 2012 Select Strats, but not the Select Teles. I haven't looked there in a few months.

Thanks for the info. I got to know several Fender Select guitars but never got to see this Telecaster before. Awesome they use quartersawn necks for Select guitars. I only knew of very few expensive Custom Shop guitars featuring them, same as birdseye maple.

Some great Teles posted here - and some excellent recommendations. I don't think you can really buy a bad Tele. At worst you may need to replace the pickups and do some shielding. I'd add that buying the one that feels the best in your hands and rings out the most when played unlpugged is a good idea since pickups are pretty easily replaced.

Here's the one I ended up with - an '86 Japanese 62 reissue. They can still be found in nice shape for around $1000. I've had it for about 20 years now and we've always gotten along well.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

The Squier Classic Vibe is an excellent guitar and for the low price it feels like you're stealing it.I bought one for a gifted cousin last year and was amazed with not only the fit and finish but it sounded just great and I wouldn't have a problem with using one for gigging myself.A lot of people automatically dismiss all low priced guitars such as Squier and MIM Fenders and even Epiphone etc. as junk but I believe that people like that are doing their thinking and talking from the wrong end of their anatomy.I have 2 Teles a 2004 MIM and a 2011 '53 Vintage Hotrod Tele and both sound great even though the MIM list price was $1,200 below that of the Vintage '53.The MIM has the incredible ice-pick sharp treble response as the more expensive MIA ones but they cost so much less due largely too a much cheaper labour cost,lower cost woods,hardware and electronics that are reliable but considerably cheaper than those in the MIA Teles. There is nothing wrong with import Fender/Squier and even EPI. products and people who believe so are just adhering to a myth that's been disproven time and time again.

With regard to the Tele 3 piece bridges,the older bridges were very hard to intonate but with the development of compensated bridges,that is no longer an issue.The only caveat with compensated bridges is that you are restricted to the string gauges suggested by the manufacturer.As far as I know some companies are now making more than one size compensated bridges and are turning out bridges built to accommodate certain string gauges or with enough fore and aft adjustment to allow perfect intonation.Guitar makers and guitar accessory companies are starting to rectify inherent problems that plagued certain models of guitars for decades and the compensated bridges are just one instance of it.

Re the Rosewood Tele: $7000 is way too much to be asking for such a guitar and the only people who will be buying them is the speculator/collectors of whom most don't even play but buy up beautiful instruments strictly for investment purposes.Since the real thing is now moving into the BMW/Mercedes price range,if I wanted a Rosewood Tele badly enough I would go Guitars Japan and buy one of the MIJ Fender Rosewoods from a few years back or buy one of the excellent Burny,Edwards,Fresher etc. largely handmade MIJ Rosewood Tele copies that they make and for an incredibly fair price-even when you include shipping costs from Japan. http://www.guitarsjapan.com/

The quilt tops are really nice - what timbers are the bodies made of?

I also had my doubts about the N3 Noiseless pickups initially, but the beauty is in the ear of the beholder, and they totally convinced me when checking out a bunch of Telecasters.

they're both paulowana (sp?) w/quilt veneers.....light as a feather, and $76 ea. incl. shipping.

Thank you for your relies guys. I did put the question up on the Fender Tele site as one member here suggested and received six replies where here to date I have received forty three. Maybe this is because I write regularly on this site or perhaps we are more talkative here.

Buying a Tele is still a minefield but here is what I have learned to date. The twang comes from the bridge pickup so my 1974 custom is giving max twang already. I have also discovered that perhaps in owning a 1974 Custom I have all I need anyway. Since posting this thread I have been asked if I intend to sell my Custom so I guess I have good salable Tele anyway but no I'm not going to sell her.

There does seem to be a market for vintage Teles and that is interesting but as Charlie Brown says they are workhorses and therefore should not be that expensive however all markets are ruled by supply and demand. I still cant see how a 1966 Tele could be worth more that a 1966 ES330.

Who would lay out 7000 usd for a rosewood Tele, looks nice but I understand they are very heavy, that's who George Harrison gave his away.

The Squier Classic Vibe is an excellent guitar and for the low price it feels like you're stealing it.I bought one for a gifted cousin last year and was amazed with not only the fit and finish but it sounded just great and I wouldn't have a problem with using one for gigging myself.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. My good friend and band mate owns several and he always brings one for me to use at any gig we play.

CoconutJoes024_zps962b9689.jpg

Here's mine along with it's older Strat brother - a 2005 American Deluxe:

342966929.jpg

Got that Tele twang and while the S1 switch seems to be more of a gimmick on the Strat, it provides a nice addition to the Tele.

Don't own a S1 equipped Strat, but can confirm this for the Tele.

Beautiful pair of guitars by the way. [thumbup]

they're both paulowana (sp?) w/quilt veneers.....light as a feather, and $76 ea. incl. shipping.

This is really stunning... [scared]

Thank you for your relies guys. I did put the question up on the Fender Tele site as one member here suggested and received six replies where here to date I have received forty three. Maybe this is because I write regularly on this site or perhaps we are more talkative here.

Buying a Tele is still a minefield but here is what I have learned to date. The twang comes from the bridge pickup so my 1974 custom is giving max twang already. I have also discovered that perhaps in owning a 1974 Custom I have all I need anyway. Since posting this thread I have been asked if I intend to sell my Custom so I guess I have good salable Tele anyway but no I'm not going to sell her.

There does seem to be a market for vintage Teles and that is interesting but as Charlie Brown says they are workhorses and therefore should not be that expensive however all markets are ruled by supply and demand. I still cant see how a 1966 Tele could be worth more that a 1966 ES330.

Who would lay out 7000 usd for a rosewood Tele, looks nice but I understand they are very heavy, that's who George Harrison gave his away.

Perhaps it's just because Gibson forumites have more fun [biggrin]

I think that from a player's view the woods commonly used for Teles may be sufficient, and more typical for the model, too, than e. g. rosewood. On the other hand, a rosewood fretboard is OK I believe. ;)

But however, wanting to buy a good guitar is always a bit of a minefield.

To my ears, the N3 Noiseless Tele pickup provides more twang than the TexMex pickup in two of my MIM Nashville Power Teles. The massive brazen plate used in both American Deluxe and Nashville Power Teles obviously loads down the "real" single coil more than the stapled humbucker since the latter's "voice" coil is the upper one. This is practically unaffected by the shortout winding made by the bridge plate which is of stronger effect than that of the traditional, thin one made of sheet metal.

Don't own a S1 equipped Strat, but can confirm this for the Tele.

Beautiful pair of guitars by the way. [thumbup]

This is really stunning... [scared]

Perhaps it's just because Gibson forumites have more fun [biggrin]

I think that from a player's view the woods commonly used for Teles may be sufficient, and more typical for the model, too, than e. g. rosewood. On the other hand, a rosewood fretboard is OK I believe. ;)

But however, wanting to buy a good guitar is always a bit of a minefield.

To my ears, the N3 Noiseless Tele pickup provides more twang than the TexMex pickup in two of my MIM Nashville Power Teles. The massive brazen plate used in both American Deluxe and Nashville Power Teles obviously loads down the "real" single coil more than the stapled humbucker since the latter's "voice" coil is the upper one. This is practically unaffected by the shortout winding made by the bridge plate which is of stronger effect than that of the traditional, thin one made of sheet metal.

love the S1 on my Amer.Dlx Strat...never played a Tele w/1....

Capmaster......look at guitar bodies at Guitar Fetish...they may have some flamies/quilties in stock......they get them in sporadically.

Thank you for your relies guys. I did put the question up on the Fender Tele site as one member here suggested and received six replies where here to date I have received forty three. Maybe this is because I write regularly on this site or perhaps we are more talkative here......

I tried the Fender Tele site a couple years ago and pretty much had the same experience.

Archived