Gibson Brands Forums

I'm not a good cook

jdgm

...And I love to eat and drink.

Ingredients -

1 pack flaked salmon or use a good Hass avocado if vegetarian

Vittoria tomatoes (or mini plum, small, etc)

Couscous - 'fruity' or Moroccan couscous

English baby leaf Watercress, Heart of Romaine lettuce

Chopped cooked beetroot, grated carrot

Spring onions, Chives

Sweet red pepper

Chopped cucumber (very important)

Radish, Garlic, Olives

Get organic if you can. Slice n' dice, mix leaving avocado (if using) until last, then - most important

Greek Kalamata PDO olive oil - I practically pour it on like gravy: eat ASAP.

El Yummo!

salad2_zps30b88490.jpg

I don't think any chef could make me a better salad. OK I could have some fancy balsamic dressing but it wouldn't beat the olive oil for me. Get the veg as fresh as possible, take ingredients out of the fridge at least an hour before preparation. There's less fat on that plate than one candy bar.

But....a couple hours late I ate some oatcakes with cheese and finished with some almonds so I blew it dietwise.

And yes, I drank ALL the beer. I have a few days off.

Regards!

Strangely I love salads but find it more annoying to chop and put the stuff together than to cook. Strange, because there is a bigger mess and more work with cooking.

Olive oil...no better dressing! [thumbup]

I like this because of no pots and pans - straight to the plate!!

You've got to have one (or 2) sort of exotic things in it which will lift it above the ordinary taste of lettuce and tomatoes - for me it's the couscous, rice is ok but not as good, and the fish or avocado - chicken works well. The cucumber and the pepper add crunch, spice and cool, the radish complements the olives and you really need the garlic.

But anything you do like this needs attention to come out well, like cooking, like playing!

What you got in a Texas salad?

Well,, unfortunately,,, I am a good cook.

I am the cook in our family and I cook fresh every day. Which is really pretty damn good considering we both work full time.

No precooked frozen stuff comes in the door around here.

I say unfortunately because I have the body of a chef,, and not Bobby Flay chef, more like Mario Batali chef.

Couscous is pretty much a staple around here. So much that my kids are sick of it.

So around here , a good salad is just a starter or side.

I am far too carnivorous to eat just salad.

But I am proud to say that I have probably cooked more proteins than the average person has even tried.

That looks like great quality olive oil, jdgm!

Good olive oil is essential to Life.

And I'm rather partial to a drop of Hog's Back TEA myself!.....[thumbup]

If you fancy a change of dressing mix good white wine vinegar with the oil (1 to 3), whole-grain mustard (Moutarde de Meaux Pommery if you can find it) and shallots.

The mix must be thick with the mustard and shallots. Heavenly! We've had dinner guests who have spread this dressing straight onto slices of ciabatta, so good does it taste.

One tip I discovered recently (from Jamie Oliver) is to pop a couple of preserved lemons in the pan when preparing couscous (works just as well with rice).

When the cooking's done mash the fruit into the mix. It gives a fantastic flavour to the dish.

We had originally bought the preserved lemons for a Moroccan spicy chicken tagine and were wondering what on earth to do with the rest of the contents of the jar. Now we know!

Like in quapman's household both my wife and I really enjoy cooking and cook fresh, from scratch, every meal.

I actually get great enjoyment from chopping and preparing everything. Seriously!

Using really sharp Sabatier knives is one of life's great pleasures IMO, as is grinding down fresh cumin, fennel seeds and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle.

I've a day off today so will spend a good part of it preparing something special for tonight......mmmmmm............

Bon appetit a tous!

P.

I surveyed Jaques Pepin's septic system once. Does that count?

Yee-ecch! No! =;

Looks like I could easily get "out-chef'ed" here - my hot cooking ain't so hot if you see what I mean. I am tempted to tell you that my placemats are all '54 Strat scratchplates and I stir my stews with a wooden spoon made from the long tenon of a '58 LP [biggrin] ...you need a really sharp knife in the kitchen but I don't have a razor-sharp one at the moment - I worry about fingers!

P. That dressing sounds nice! I must come up your way sometime! ....I'll get there eventually....

Cheers to all!

I actually get great enjoyment from chopping and preparing everything. Seriously!

Using really sharp Sabatier knives is one of life's great pleasures IMO, as is grinding down fresh cumin, fennel seeds and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle.

P.

I'm with you Pippy on all the above.

I actually enjoy cooking and am quite passionate about it.

Where I work after 25 yrs of service they used to give you a watch but they changed it to $500 to purchase whatever you desire.

I bought myself a nice set of Wustof knives. I spent 700 on 5 knives. As you said, great knives are a pleasure.

I don't collect anything but I do have a small assortment of 4 mortar and pestles in various sizes and materials from a small marble one to a fairly large granite one. So ya, I mash up everything from cumin to pesto.

And they look great in a kitchen ;)

I would like to come to your house for supper some day and have you cook... hehe..

and oh ya,, I occasionally treat myself to an over the top EVOO. But just a treat cuz a 50 dollar bottle of oil is hard to justify. Usually that's a Christmas purchase,, along with an assortment of nice cheeses,,,

Damn,, I'm getting hungry now.

I surveyed Jaques Pepin's septic system once. Does that count?

lol,,

I think it does count as long as you reverse engineered the processed dishes.

Guest Farnsbarns

And I'm rather partial to a drop of Hog's Back TEA myself!.....[thumbup]

If you fancy a change of dressing mix good white wine vinegar with the oil (1 to 3), whole-grain mustard (Moutarde de Meaux Pommery if you can find it) and shallots.

The mix must be thick with the mustard and shallots. Heavenly! We've had dinner guests who have spread this dressing straight onto slices of ciabatta, so good does it taste.

One tip I discovered recently (from Jamie Oliver) is to pop a couple of preserved lemons in the pan when preparing couscous (works just as well with rice).

When the cooking's done mash the fruit into the mix. It gives a fantastic flavour to the dish.

We had originally bought the preserved lemons for a Moroccan spicy chicken tagine and were wondering what on earth to do with the rest of the contents of the jar. Now we know!

Like in quapman's household both my wife and I really enjoy cooking and cook fresh, from scratch, every meal.

I've a day off today so will spend a good part of it preparing something special for tonight......mmmmmm............

Bon appetit a tous!

P.

TEA is one of the best English ales there is, simple. They usually have a wooden barrel of it, perfectly conditioned, on a tilt stand in the Green Dragon. Evelyn, who ran the Ship in it's hay day is the manager and she really knows her stuff. They have a cask marque too. Not the most atmospheric pub though. Ceiling's too high for starters.

TEA is one of the best English ales there is, simple. They usually have a wooden barrel of it, perfectly conditioned, on a tilt stand in the Green Dragon. Evelyn, who ran the Ship in it's hay day is the manager and she really knows her stuff. They have a cask marque too. Not the most atmospheric pub though. Ceiling's too high for starters.

Then I must visit and buy you (and P.) one sometime Farns! Is that your local? And can I PM you sometime about a possible small amp repair?

The beer in the pic is Hog's Back 'R.I.P' ('Ripsnorter') which is 5%, my favourite and comes around this time of year but is usually all gone by December when they start the Xmas ale....

Cheers again!

Great looking salad! I am the main cook in the family. The wife unit likes it that way.

I like salads very simple. I learned a simple European salad in the styrian region of Austria made with pumpkin seed oil. You can use olive oil if you wish (or any oil that has some flavor). Use butter lettuce or mache'. Splash with vinegar (I like apple vinegar) and then salt with kosher salt like a light snow fall (sounds good already). Then just barely coat the leaves with oil. Simple as that. You can add some bacon pieces or even better, toasted pumpkin seeds. It's delicious, very quick and very easy.

P.....I must come up your way sometime! ....I'll get there eventually....

....I would like to come to your house for supper some day and have you cook... hehe....

Absolutely anytime you fancy it, chaps. Truly, I would be honoured to share your company!

And not wishing to gild the lily; not only does my local pub, oft-times, have TEA on draught, it won the 2013 CAMRA* regional pub of the year award and also hosts the Sydenham Blues Club on Fri and Sat nights.

We've got a spare room for sleepovers, BTW.....

[thumbup]

P.

* 'CAMpaign for Real Ale' for those not from these shores.

Archived