Gibson Brands Forums

New Old Pump Organ Day

badbluesplayer

Hello!

Congratulations! [thumbup]

They are fun to play. Not for soloing, though, rather for backing psalms with chords.

My great-father used to play one in church, and my grand-dad as well. I still own it. It's a Pajkr made in Wien:

LPST50WGCH9.jpg

Enjoy... Bence

There's one at the local thrift store, a... ummm... Chicago Cottage Organ Company maybe? It's missing one of the two lattice-looking panels but otherwise in good shape. I pumped one of the pedals and got a squawk out of it so it must be marginally functional. It's tagged $75 but also tagged 50% off, so... $37.50? It's tempting but I already have a 1920 Mendellsshon upright piano in the man cave I never use!

I think that for the era, quite a few were manufactured, some with very nice woodwork.

We had one in the church I attended as a little kid that sounded pretty decent and IMHO in retrospect, probably kept the organist in shape.

My guess is that if the bellows and tubing are clean and in good shape, ditto the reeds, it should still be able to be made to sound half decent. There's actually one, btw, in the local museum with good provenance for it - but you've gotta figure this town is under 120 years old.

m

Whew...

That looks like a lotta work just to have it looking pretty, let alone functioning well. I always wondered, though, how one of those would sound with some sort of appropriate pressure air pump stedda the pedals working it.

m

I googled the model (115) and found out it's missing a whole lot of furntiure! This is what it's SUPPOSED to look like:

(and in the drawing you will see diamond shapes on the upper panel. Those are small mirrors. In the photo of the junker you will see a diamond shaped mirror laying atop it. I thought it was coincidence...)

1zzolmu.jpg

It appears to work but the left pedal doesn't work so hot, so I'll have to check that out. The serial number seems to date it to 1885. They were made from 1881 to 1922. So this is a pretty early one.

I don't play the piano but here's my first recital. I wrote my first composition - [laugh]

th_C5A49FB9-FD6A-4E1D-9346-FF915F556396-2977-0000064C460363EF_zpsf182baa3.jpg

man oh man !!

my favorite Aunt (R.I.P., lived across the street) spent her retirement years rebuilding pump organs...it was her "hobby".

she probably rebuilt and sold 8 to 10 of them in a 15 yr period...the woodwork was a cinch, but the leather and felt perplexed her at times.

keep us posted on your progress please...

and btw....LOVE your Red Dobie!!

same Aunt had 2 thru the years, Sam, and Rocky....this was when Dobies, especially Reds, were the media "devil dog"....but they were big sweet babys.

Archived