Gibson Brands Forums

Found a receipt

ksdaddy

I'm going out on a limb here but, I'll bet ya you could get more than you paid for it

if you decided to sell it. :rolleyes:

Truthfully.\, I wish I still had some of the guitars I bought back in the day. I actually bought a used

1974 D-35 around that time for $850 and thought that was a smokin' deal .

Hmm. And in 1974 I put out $400 for my favorite square shoulder to this day, the infamous era SJ. And it's a DEEluxe! Those days were ok and some of the instruments weren't bad themselves!:rolleyes:

$300 for my Norlin era J45 2nd. Without a case I walked out of the store with it under my arm. I thought I was in the big time 'cause I had a GIBSON! Still have it but it needs a fret job and a neck reset ..... so it's value is ????? minus $00.00 I'd say.

This thread made me look up the receipt on my 1960 Stratocaster.

I paid $195 for it in 1974. The receipt only says "Used Stratocaster" and does not list the serial number, so really no WOW factor from the receipt itself.

The "vintage" and "collectable" industry didn't really take hold until the mid/late 70's, and some really great instruments could be had for reasonable prices until that time. The interesting thing is that in the late 60's/early 70's most of us were buying USED instruments because that's all we could afford. In retrospect, some got luckier than others in "accidentally" buying an old guitar that just happened to become "collectable".

I'm confused. Are we talking about two different SJs? A 64 you bought from Elderly in 83, and one your dad bought new in 63?

P

Yes, two different (but identical) SJs. The '63 is my first memory of a guitar, period. That and my brother's Holiday electric (same as a Harmony Bobcat). Dad had the SJ until 1971 or so. In 1970 he bought an early 50s J200 for $50. The sunburst finish had been stripped off the top. This was done by a slightly odd preacher who stripped the finish off the top of ALL his guitars so they could 'breathe'. I remember walking into his trailer in the early 90s and seeing an otherwise beautiful D35 with the top stripped.

Dad SHOULD have sent the J200 to Gibson and had the top re-bursted but instead he painted the top red. Yeah, I know, I know... but that was 1970 and few of us knew any better. it was a pretty striking instrument though! That went away after a while. I think he bought a D28 after that. He mainly bumped back and forth between Kalamazoo and Nazareth.

Acquiring my SJ was almost by accident. I didn't own an acoustic at the time except for maybe a couple Kay archtops. I had bought a 1920s parlor guitar for $12 and attempted to install a new fret board and frets. I will spare the details but suffice to say it was not a positive outcome. I was so frustrated I decided to just go BUY an acoustic that worked. I went to a music store in a neighboring town and they had mostly low end crap, nothing that set me on fire. They had a display of new Applause guitars, one in blueburst, $189 brand new. I was very impressed. Until I realized it was made in Korea. I just couldn't bring myself to buy something Pac Rim. Just a thing with me. I went home empty handed.

A few days later I received the new Elderly used instrument list. I still have that list! It was done on newsprint back then, rustic and homely. I remember them having several new Gibsons that had been around too long and some were shopworn and they wanted them GONE. A new ES175 for $499 for example, and a few of those uglyass Corvus can opener guitars for $160 or so. The flat top section had a Guild D25 I think for $200, a Lo Prinzi or something, and the '64 SJ for $350. I called and may have spoken to Raoul (Bob Mitts) who was a fixture there. He took it off the wall and played a few chords and said, "yeah, this feels pretty nice, neck is slim, sounds good." I said, "send it COD".

Then I had to go to the bank and take out a personal loan for $350.

The tuners had been changed to Grovers and over the years I've had 2 or 3 sets of tuners on it. I currently have gold Kluson style on it, which are far from original but at least I'm using the original holes and they look nice. I made a truss rod cover out of brass and had my initials engraved in it. The bridge was changed from the adjustable type to a fixed bridge. The intonation was way off (flat) so I filled the slot and moved it. Definitely some of my best work and I doubt I could do that today if you put a gun to my head. The bridge began to lift in the late 80s or so. I removed it, cleaned it, and reglued it.

The neck set is spot-on. I have the action set obscenely low. Les Pauls should play like this. It does NOT have the tone the typical person would get excited about; it neither booms nor breaks glass. But I can go into a zone with it. It has that Donovan Hurdy Gurdy sound.

Dad SHOULD have sent the J200 to Gibson and had the top re-bursted but instead he painted the top red. Yeah, I know, I know... but that was 1970 and few of us knew any better. it was a pretty striking instrument though!

Yup, most of us did not know you could do that kind of stuff back then.

My first Gibson was an L-00. I do not have a clue what year it was made as it was virtually impossible to figure that kind of thing out. All I knew was it was playable, looked cool and was dirt cheap. It had a crack in the top so I figured the way to fix it was to drill a small hole in either end of the crack to keep it from spreading and then slather some Ducco cement in it.

Archived