Gibson Brands Forums

Good Les Paul for Slugde

Pope

Hi

I'm looking for a good Les Paul to play Stoner/sludge/doom metal in the style of High on Fire, Down, Crowbar and of course Sabbath but with some bluesy parts too

I play with a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto and I've been playing with an ESP with EMGs on it for years now

I was playing mostly thrash metal but now I'm looking for a heavier sound and a more versability in the softer parts.

(but a don't want to loose the crunch of my ESP)

I'm willing to spend around 2500$ on it but I don't know witch one too choose.

So I hope you guys could help me.

P.S Sorry for my broken english (I speak French)

to be honest i would just stick with the ESP and save my cash. the beauty of a Les Paul (or any guitar for that matter) is pretty much lost once the gain reaches a certain volume. an ESP Eclipse with EMGs would be my weapon of choice. ymmv.

to be honest i would just stick with the ESP and save my cash. the beauty of a Les Paul (or any guitar for that matter) is pretty much lost once the gain reaches a certain volume. an ESP Eclipse with EMGs would be my weapon of choice. ymmv.

I agree with FennRX. Why spend the money on a LP only to obliterate the natural tone with super gain. It's like putting ketchup on filet mignon.

+1

My lp with bb pros does great for metal tho... I never understood that "only hot pickups for metal" thing... most players that use that much distortion rely on solid state amps and fx and not on pickups... zack wylde uses EMGs and his sound is not that distorted.

+1 as well.

Get whatever LP you find most appealing but leave some money in your budget for a really thick sounding distortion pedal.

With the exception of of Sabbath, a lot of those band's get that sludgy wall of noise thick as sh!t guitar sound through a pedla. The stoner rock sound, though may have originated with Iommi and his his SG through Laney combination, most bands get that sound by using the pedal that creates it, the Electro Harmonix Big Muff. However, most people, including friends of mine who post here will probably tell ya, why waste your money trying to get a **** guitar sound :P

Personally I like it, but I'm more more about songs than a metal sound.

Hi Pope,

You've got a great guitar for Metal. You might want to think about changing amps though. The rectifier has a lot of gain but a very buzzy high end and loose/flabby low end. Check out the new Marshall JVM Series. You'll get all the gain you want but with killer tone as well. BTW, the secret to Iommi's heavy sludge tone is in using much less gain than one would imagine. The secret is in the fingers, not so much the gear.

Good luck!

How about this analogy. If you just want to chug whiskey from the bottle or mix it with Coke, get a bottle of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. But most people wouldn't spend $50 on a good bottle of Bookers just to mix it with Coke.

I feel the same way about the LP. Yes, they can be great for metal and sludge or whatever you want to call it. But, if that's all you plan on playing, there's plenty of other guitars that would probably be more appropriate and less expensive. Once you go through all those pedals and effects one guitar basically sounds like another.

Archived