Gibson Brands Forums

Chet and a Gibby

Joe M

Chet was awesome, and not just as a guitar picker......BTW, think how good he'd have been if he didn't use his thumb to fret bass strings...lol.......Chet was known for being very particular and proud of his own skills. Often, when someone would tell him how good his guitar sounded, he'd lay the guitar on the floor and ask, "How good does it sound now?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdUskmbXxE

Chet was awesome, and not just as a guitar picker......BTW, think how good he'd have been if he didn't use his thumb to fret bass strings...lol.......Chet was known for being very particular and proud of his own skills. Often, when someone would tell him how good his guitar sounded, he'd lay the guitar on the floor and ask, "How good does it sound now?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjdUskmbXxE

That is hysterical...

Often, when someone would tell him how good his guitar sounded, he'd lay the guitar on the floor and ask, "How good does it sound now?"

I remember reading that many years ago, and from that time forward, I've always made a point of saying how good a persons guitar playing was, as apposed to saying how good his guitar sounded.

Often, when someone would tell him how good his guitar sounded, he'd lay the guitar on the floor and ask, "How good does it sound now?"

What a perfect line. Chet remains one of my all time favorite players.

The man could turn almost any schlocky song into an instrumental thing of beauty.

Anybody know what model Gibson he's playing??

Looks like a mid-to-late-'80s J-30. They did some with that non-Gibsony "amberburst" finish in 1987, but there could have been some other years too. Reasonably nice guitar, much superior in design to the Norlin Era models that preceded it, but they tended to suffer structural problems from having been built in the variable humidity of the Nashville plant.

-- Bob R

Archived