Gibson Brands Forums

1956 J 185

JuanCarlosVejar

I have a '56 J-185 too. Not that the year is that important -- I've played some so-so '56s and some really good ones.

IMGP7086_zpsbb0ca263.jpg

I don't have good video clips of mine; sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oqiyVhjrrAs

I just got mine back from Dennis Berck of Oregon so that he could replace the bridge plate and refret the guitar. I was concerned that it might not sound as good as it did with the crappy oversize *spruce* bridge plate, but my worries were unfounded. I got the guitar back yesterday (after a 4-month absence) and it sounds fantastic. The video above really doesn't capture the bass and fullness of the sound though -- I need to try to get some better video clips!

Fred

I love the 185 model. It has the bass oomph of a dreadnought with the crystal treble of smaller guitars while retaining the strong Gibson mids. That 56 sounded crispy and dry in the video.

I have an '08 Modern Classic, which is the equivalent of the current Standard 185. I have put in a lot of time playing it and it projects beautifully now. I expect it to improve still further as the wood ages. I almost bought another one a few years back, which was a lighter build custom version with cherry blossom inlays.

There are one or two detractors who year after year go from forum to forum denigrating this model, but it's only because of their own technical or stylistic limitations; they don't know how to take advantage of the strengths of this instrument and therefore their prejudice is perhaps more to be pitied than censured.

I love the 185 model. It has the bass oomph of a dreadnought with the crystal treble of smaller guitars while retaining the strong Gibson mids. That 56 sounded crispy and dry in the video.

I have an '08 Modern Classic, which is the equivalent of the current Standard 185. I have put in a lot of time playing it and it projects beautifully now. I expect it to improve still further as the wood ages. I almost bought another one a few years back, which was a lighter build custom version with cherry blossom inlays.

There are one or two detractors who year after year go from forum to forum denigrating this model, but it's only because of their own technical or stylistic limitations; they don't know how to take advantage of the strengths of this instrument and therefore their prejudice is perhaps more to be pitied than censured.

Well, I think they're beautiful. I would go so far as to say they are, visually, my favorite guitar. But I've never played one I was crazy about sonically. I'd love to get my hands on a lightly built version in hog or IR. I came pretty close to having John Greven build me one once. I really want to love them. Maybe it's the way I play. Maybe it's just not a good match for me. Should I be pitied for finding guitars that work for me and guitars that don't? I've personally found that awareness useful, but YMMV.

P

I've said it before, and will say it again: I for one would love to hear your 185, Jerry. I've never had the pleasure of seeing or hearing one in the flesh, because they are rare birds in the UK, and even rarer in Hungary. More recordings of this model can only be a positive thing in educating all of us about it, not just the detractors. Because of its looks and the reputation for all-round performance, I was seriously contemplating buying one as my first Gibson acoustic. I have heard some very nice sound samples on the web too, which I found enticing at the time, but in the end I realized that the mahogany slope sound wins out for me. Given that I was buying what might be the only ever Gibson acoustic I own, I went for the sound I liked better. But if I had money for another, the 185 would be high on my list - if I could find one to try. Your Nick Lucas sounds great, and leaves me wanting a crack at a maple Gibson, but it also leaves me wondering whether I'd rather have a Nick Lucas than a 185. Give us some of your 185, please!

Yes. Thanks Jerry. That is a stunning sounding guitar. Probably the nicest J185 sample I've heard - more bass than I've heard, and the mids are powerful as you say, all without any reduction in treble cut. Beyond a more objective appreciation for the quality of its tone, it's also definitely up there with my favourite hog slope samples in terms of personal sound preferences. Most of the 185 samples I've enjoyed didn't have that much resonance or balance, but that could be recording factors. That is a very strong arrangement of Tennessee Waltz as well. I can appreciate your jazz stylings in technical terms, but I like this style of playing more.

Some people feel compelled to repeatedly bash something they can't understand. Since they don't understand it, all they can do is air their prejudices. That's a pity.

Really? You think that was "bashing?" You think I love the way they look, best form factor ever IMO, but sadly, I've never found one that spoke to me sonically...though that could just be me...that's "bashing?" So what's not bashing? Having no opinion, or supporting yours in every way?

P

Really? You think that was "bashing?" You think I love the way they look, best form factor ever IMO, but sadly, I've never found one that spoke to me sonically...though that could just be me...that's "bashing?" So what's not bashing? Having no opinion, or supporting yours in every way?

P

If you read what I actually wrote you will see that I said nothing about you personally. I spoke of people who year after year go from forum to forum repeatedly denigrating this model whenever the subject comes up. Are you one of those people? If so, then yeah, I guess that makes you a basher of this model. If not then not.

P

PP, I don't think Jerry was referring to you at all; at least, I did not get that from his post.

And, I can understand what you say about not finding a J-185 that you "get": I played numerous examples before finally finding a good-sounding one in about 1997. I've probably owned about a dozen of this model from various years as part of my "catch and release" program [rolleyes] -- you know, where you keep one for a while till a better one comes along, etc., etc....

It seemed to me that, overall, since Bozeman started re-issuing this model, the model would get better millimetrically year by year. Even then, I cannot say that every one I audition even now is a consistently good-sounding example, although they are better than the mid-90s versions, IMO.

So, yes, probably this model is not as consistently "good" or predictable as say the J-45, SJ or Hummingbird, but when you DO find a good one, they can be stellar.

Fred

One thing about the 185 - it's a fairly big guitar and good and deep, too. Sometimes you find one in a store with extra light strings on it. It's hard to get the full effect of that big maple body and mahogany neck with wimpy strings.

I have John Pearse PB New Mediums (medium on 1,2 and 6, the rest light). I am thinking of going to medium next time I get it set up.

I bought mine sight unseen from Musician's Friend when they changed the model name to 'standard' from 'modern classic' and they were dumping the old stock. I had been wanting to try this model out but it is often hard to find in stores so when I saw a new one at an amazing price I went ahead and bought it, thinking to play it for a while and do catch and release if it didn't work for me. I actually prefer the slightly heavier build of the standard/modern classic. I play fairly hard and the lighter ones can get overwhelmed. I like the sound of the TV's and other lighter versions too and may end up getting one. That cherry finish, cherry blossom inlay job Dave in SLC and I were checking out in Music Villa a while back was really tempting.

If you read what I actually wrote you will see that I said nothing about you personally. I spoke of people who year after year go from forum to forum repeatedly denigrating this model whenever the subject comes up. Are you one of those people? If so, then yeah, I guess that makes you a basher of this model. If not then not.

Jerry, my apologies. Your post immediately followed mine, and I just assumed...wrongly. I really do love the things and still hope to find one someday that begs to come home with me.

P

I suppose you have to make adjustments and accommodations to any guitar, digging in a little more here, hanging back just a bit there, most of it unconsciously in a kind of feedback loop where we hear the result and adjust accordingly. Possibly there is a bit more of this for maple than say mahogany body guitars. Maple can sound brassy and harsh without some adjustment whereas mahogany is hard to make sound bad. A lot of times when people don't 'get' the 185, I suspect it is really maple that is the problem.

I suppose you have to make adjustments and accommodations to any guitar, digging in a little more here, hanging back just a bit there, most of it unconsciously in a kind of feedback loop where we hear the result and adjust accordingly. Possibly there is a bit more of this for maple than say mahogany body guitars. Maple can sound brassy and harsh without some adjustment whereas mahogany is hard to make sound bad. A lot of times when people don't 'get' the 185, I suspect it is really maple that is the problem.

Yeah, a j200 was my #1 for a good 20 years, and I owned a maple Thompson for a couple of years, held a maple Greven for a couple of weeks. Maple can be unforgiving, for sure.

P

Archived