Gibson Brands Forums

Whole Lotta Love

heymisterk

That was great! And you can indeed hear the difference.

And you can't put a price tag on Joe Walsh's face when he plays it.

Indeed. I admit that I didn't look at every tab out there, but the tabs I did see show it the "wrong" way. And yeah, Joe's face is always priceless when he plays.

That was awesome on many levels..lol

Gotta love Joe.

Now did Jimmy play it like that on purpose or was it his "aggressive"(or some would say sloppy)style of play that pushed the A string sharp?

Very cool,,, definitely sounds better.

is Joe Walsh(!) showing Jimmy's secret to playing the main riff to Whole Lotta Love. Go to 1:00 in the video to see what I mean.

Now that I see this, it shows me I have been playing it wrong for two decades. You definitely can hear the difference...

I always played it that way :) From seeing a Phil X video.

Came as a surprise to me. But yeah, Phil X is great for that kind of stuff.

Yeah he was just making a point that you really have to listen closely and figure out the way the person plays the song that you're trying to play.

is Joe Walsh(!) showing Jimmy's secret to playing the main riff to Whole Lotta Love. Go to 1:00 in the video to see what I mean.

Now that I see this, it shows me I have been playing it wrong for two decades. You definitely can hear the difference...

Great info there... thanks for sharing [thumbup]

WOW!

Yup. I've been playing it wrong forever too. Not that I play it much at all but I thought I had got the fingering 'right' after I saw J.P. playing it on 'It Might Get Loud'.

'Pay Attention, Pike!' as Captain Mainwaring frequently said.

P.

...Go to 1:00 in the video to see what I mean....

Yesterday I went straight to the 1:00 part but today I watched the whole (lotta) clip and I'm very glad I did;

"It's O.K. to slant a pickup. It doesn't have to be exactly parallel. Some people will argue with that...............but they don't have as good a tone as I do."

[laugh]

Priceless!

P.

"It's O.K. to slant a pickup. It doesn't have to be exactly parallel. Some people will argue with that...............but they don't have as good a tone as I do."

[laugh]

Priceless!

P.

Except Joe's "tone" in the video was just awful. Sorry fellas, I love Joe but what we hear int that clip should not be described as good tone in any way. Somebody had to say it!

heymisterk, thanks for sharing the link. I learned something from it, too. I had the right position and notes, but I didn't have that bent up "D" note on the 5th fret

of the "A" string to give it "that sound". That link led to a whole bunch of other lessons or interviews with Joe Walsh. He is one heck of a good teacher and

very enthusiastic to boot.

Joe wins the crazy face contest hand down. I know Joe is sober now but he seems like he is 3 sheets.

Well, khm, that's what I was thinking too (with all the respect to this great player).

Anyways, that's a great series. I enjoyed it very much!

Thanks for posting... Bence

Archived