Gibson Brands Forums

Whole Lotta Love

heymisterk

is Joe Walsh(!) showing Jimmy's secret to playing the main riff to Whole Lotta Love. Go to 1:00 in the video to see what I mean.

Now that I see this, it shows me I have been playing it wrong for two decades. You definitely can hear the difference...

yes i agree there are 'subtleties' to british guitar players' riffs, david gilmour too ... as what were used to up in Canada is usually good ole' American hamburger and french fries, (the limey doesn't know what the hell a 'cheeseburger' is? go figure). ok bob and doug mackenzie ... put on yur' toque and eat yur' backbacon, eh ... fire up the sled and ... we drive on the right side of the road and we eat at McDonalds, Lizzie.

Except Joe's "tone" in the video was just awful. Sorry fellas, I love Joe but what we hear int that clip should not be described as good tone in any way. Somebody had to say it!

tone perfection ... nonsense ... improvement is a better term. the greats are just as 'what you see is what you get' as the next guy. I remember watching a video clip of Robby Krieger of The Doors from a few years ago at NAMM, sitting in the stall playing the riff to Break On Through and thinking 'what the hell, that sounds like crap compared to the record ... I could play that!!!' A few others come to mind, ummm David Gilmour in a documentary, on his house boat, describing how he plays some of his riffs, sounds like a real beginner ... NO REALLY you'd have to wonder ... there's no trick to sittin' on the couch pluckin' the guitar.

Archived