Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karloff

The Moment

When did you realize you wanted to be a musician ? Was it a gradual thing, or was it like a light bulb turning on, smacking yourself on the forehead saying "jeez, I've gotta play guitar" ...

My dad had the Woodstock album... I heard Hendrix ... I was done. I didn't actually pick up the instrument until a few years after this, but that was the point at which the flame was ignited.

My dad had the Woodstock album... I heard Hendrix ... I was done. I didn't actually pick up the instrument until a few years after this, but that was the point at which the flame was ignited.

it was a similar thing for me, my dad brought home a bunch of albums he bought from a yard sale. A bunch of Perry Como's and Herb Alpert stuff. In the middle of the stack was the Beatles Let it Be album. I was 12, and had heard the Beatles my whole life, but this time for what ever reason, as I played the album, it was like a kick in the head. I thought, I've gotta do this, I've gotta play guitar. Got a crappy little Sears electric that Christmas and immediately tried playing Smoke on the Water on the low E string...

I was six and singing at my school's Talent Show ("You Needed Me" by Anne Murray). I realized it was the only time no one made fun of me because I am visually impaired. It was the only time that I wasn't referred to as The Stupid Blind Girl and I actually felt good about myself. Not too long after, I started playing guitar.

I started playing clarinet in middle school band. (which I still play by the way!) My High school band teacher was my true inspiration to be a musician. He was a father, a teacher, a friend and a mentor. Mr. McOlgan said he needed a guitar player the next year in jazz band as the current player was graduating. I asked for a guitar for christmas that year and the rest is history.

There was no moment for me,, more of an evolution.

Then again,, maybe I'm not a musician. I don't gig.

Kinda like I don't wanna be called a biker. I have a bike, I have tattoos. But I'm not a biker.

I think of myself as a motorcycle enthusiast who happens to like tattoos.

I only play in my basement and jam with buddies to entertain myself musically.

I don't make any money at it. but I do love doing it.

So maybe I'm just a music enthusiast who happens to dabble with a guitar.

So maybe this question doesn't apply to me..

No epiphany here. Just a basic love for music I guess.

At this point I just jam in my basement with buddies as well. I consider myself a musician as we are making music. There's nothing wrong with being a 'hobbyist' guitar player. [thumbup]

When my Mom let me and my brother stay up late and watch Ed Sullivan when the Beatles first appeared in America. All those screaming girls was what did it for us :)

When my Mom let me and my brother stay up late and watch Ed Sullivan when the Beatles first appeared in America. All those screaming girls was what did it for us :)

+1 I was definitely a nerd in high school. Learning the guitar and playing in bands was the only reason I lost my virginity. [flapper] </sad but true>

I don't think I've ever wanted to be a musician...I idealize the thing....I picture myself doing incredible piano feats and wish I had the time and talent but lets face it, any 5 year old in the Peabody institute can out-do me in any instrument (s)he's trained to play. I play guitar for fun the way some girls go get their nails done and some boys play B-ball at the park.

My wish when I was a teen was to be an entertainer, which doesn't mean you HAVE to play or sing anything all that well...just gotta be charming and look the part. I am way over that now. I come from a family of entertainers and I know its not just fun. It can suck.

I have known since March that I am a composer and because I can't apparate musicians to play what I want as I hear it in my head, I settle for my mediocre skills and improve on these skills for the sole purpose of getting the music out and into my ears. I do enjoy singing, but having sung 30 minute sets a few days a week for a few weeks I realized it is something that also requires LOADS of skill to do without hurting yourself.

I got my first guitar at age 8. (1965)

by the time I was 11, I was pretty sure I would do this for the rest of my life.

The "Moment" was when I first heard Jimi Hendrix. Totally awe struck.

The Beatles never did much for me till much later on. It was Jimi.

I've answered this question more times than I can remember. I should go back and find all the old posts to make sure my story is consistent. Since I see the OP Karloff is a fellow Marylander I will answer again. :rolleyes:

There was no one "moment" for me but there probably were two things that most set me to wanting to play guitar. First was being in about 4th grade and listening to KISS Alive and Alive II and looking at those photos of Ace Frehly. The other one I specifically remember hearing the song "Sultans of Swing" on the radio and thinking to myself that someday I wanted to learn guitar and play that song.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. B)

Since the time I started screaming at disc jockeys on the radio to "Shut the 7uck up" whenever they started the inevitable, inane babble that they feel duty-bound to spurt through every single guitar solo since the dawn of time. [cursing]

The first guitarist who amazed me was when, as an 11-y-o, someone played 'Are You Experienced' to me but the first time I thought "WOW! I Want To Do That!!!" was later on after seeing footage of Paul Kossoff at the Isle of Wight Festival.

P.

Then again,, maybe I'm not a musician. I don't gig....

I don't make any money at it. but I do love doing it...

Perhaps this belongs in another thread, but I was thinking about this idea - being a "musician" or not. Maybe it's just modesty, but even though I have been making music on the guitar for over 30 years (sometimes even receiving money for my efforts) whenever someone asks me if I'm a musician, I always say no - just a guitar player. To me the term musician just sounds so serious - like someone who can write out notation on a page and discuss the harmonic complexity of it.

What got me hooked was a combination of seeing my friend's older brother's band practicing in their garage, and hearing this:

master-of-puppets.jpg

Perhaps this belongs in another thread, but I was thinking about this idea - being a "musician" or not. Maybe it's just modesty, but even though I have been making music on the guitar for over 30 years (sometimes even receiving money for my efforts) whenever someone asks me if I'm a musician, I always say no - just a guitar player. To me the term musician just sounds so serious - like someone who can write out notation on a page and discuss the harmonic complexity of it.

My grandfather played professionally and got paid to travel and made records. He refused to be called a musician as he thought it was an insult to people in the symphonic orchestras and mariachis who are incredible musicians. He always said he was a violin player, an arranger and, above all, an entertainer.

Not adopting the term is not a matter of modesty so much as not having your head up your ***. Being a musician is not better than being an entertainer or composer or singer.

If you are making music and play guitar more than proficiently, meaning you compose and play guitar well, then you're a composer/guitarist and your lack of knowledge in some of the fancy terms and theory and all that stuff does not take away from the fact that you're a composer and guitarist. For some, being a musician means you play at least one instrument well. Its an umbrella term for all who play an instrument.

I have a singer friend who called herself a "starving musician" the other day and I cringed. Singers are singers. Streisand is not a musician to me, no matter how talented a vocalist.

I tend to agree with Izzy when it comes to vocalists, regardless of talent and ability.

I guess I never though of myself as being either a musician or a not-musician. I've done instrumental music since around 1949 one way or another. Guitar now for a bit over 50 years. I've performed one way or another since, as far as I can tell, early 1950. I really don't remember much from then because believe it or not that I haven't always been old, I actually was rather young at the time.

Guitar was something I wanted to do because it was portable and could do about anything from classical solo to bashing out bluegrass, dozens of blues styles, rock, country, folk... and I'd been exposed to a lot of various styles and genres without really "buying into" any of 'em. Although... jazz was always in the back of my head and fingerpicking was where my head's pretty well always been - chord and melody almost as though on a piano.

Never cared much for "rock gods" of any sort and always was more looking for music I liked to play. That, of course, was kinda a bucket of water tossed on more than bands where we were paid to do a wide range of "dance" music in the 60s and 70s.

I'd not claim talent, but with some work and thought, perhaps one who can perform a bit of music of various sorts.

So... Dunno how to answer the question, really.

m

+1 I was definitely a nerd in high school. Learning the guitar and playing in bands was the only reason I lost my virginity. [flapper] </sad but true>

[thumbup]

my childhood fantasies revolved around being a pro athlete. but as it turns out, i didn't really get along with the jocks. in fact, most of my buddies played guitar. i picked up a friend's acoustic and started messing around. then, i ended up buying one and got hooked. wasn't something i desired or planned at all. it just happened. my parents forced me to take piano lessons as a kid, and i hated it. but something with the guitar just clicked, especially when i plugged in my first electric. maybe cuz i don't care for the structure or science of music. just love playin guitar. oh the joyful noise....

It happened to me when I first heard Frank Zappa's guitar playing in "Stinkfoot" from the Apostrophe (') album in 1974 on the radio. It took me some six years more until I started, but this was the moment.

I was six and singing at my school's Talent Show ("You Needed Me" by Anne Murray). I realized it was the only time no one made fun of me because I am visually impaired. It was the only time that I wasn't referred to as The Stupid Blind Girl and I actually felt good about myself. Not too long after, I started playing guitar.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a sad story? Stupid blind girl? What sort of arseholes did you go to school with! My schoolmates were always simpatico with any one with physical difficulties . You would have been feted in my schooldays . We were always protective without being offensive here in adelaide. I hate arseholes with a passion. I'm not a big bloke but I was always there for my challenged friends. No condecension implied thrre, just an equalling of the playing field. More power to you in your quest. Glad you rose above it. Cheers and kudos.u [thumbup]

My moment started, believe it ir not, at 4 years old with the Beatles. I had young groovy parents who had a killer record collection, Buddy Holly, Elvis, twiilights, Orbison, Glen Cambell, Platters, etc, etc. sang my heart ouy, took me 25 years to attempt an instrument, 15 more to really try them. Talk about wasting your halcyon days! But music has always been my passion, 50 % of my income for 20 years went on music and Hi-Fi. Wish I'd spent it on instruments.

For me, it was about 5 or six years old. Mom was a music major in college and very much part of the "folk movement" in the early 60s. ALWAYS music playing in our house [smile] and Mom's enthusiasim was contagious! I used to "conduct" in front of her when the big band / swing stuff was being played. A golf ball she taped to a toilet paper roll was my microphone when Kingston Trio and other vocal music was playing.

THEN I happened to see a man and woman (Les Paul and Mary ford, I believe) playing on T.V. I was awestruck but the electric guitar. That feeling has never left me.

Ed Sullivan / The Beatles solidified it for me. Shortly after the rolling Stones...

I started writing in 1977 and although I never "made a living" as a musician, I've been in bands and right or wrong, consider myself a musician...

Brian