Gibson Brands Forums

New respect for the AJ

EuroAussie

So Ive had my AJ for a year now, and in that time Ive really enjoyed it as a powerful flatpicker and fingerpicker. However given the inherent power of the AJ I didnt fancy it as a strummer as I found it is almost too responsive, and I had to really adjust my technique to get a good strumming tone. Dig in a bit too much and it can come across like a pitbull, a bit too harsh and barky.

Anyway, today while the Mrs was away I had a couple hours to set up the new PA (yamaha stagepass) and decided to give each of my guitars that I gig with a run to rank them in terms of best plugged in tone through this specific PA.

At the end I thought Id give the AJ a run, not expecting much. I dont have a pickup installed like the others (Fishman matrix infinity / Aura spectrum) but I do have a portable Fishman Rare Earth blend (mike/ humbucker) that I use sometimes on my guitars that dont have their own pickup.

Well folks, I was really blown away by how good the AJ sounds plugged in. The overpowring tendency when play acoustically is not an issue when plugged in. The tone was warm, balanced, powerful but not over the top. Basically a lot like my SJ but with more depth, the rosewood overtones deliverig a rich, but far from muddy tone. Also, it doesnt break up at all when the volume gets significantly high, stays true to form.

Suffice to say I see the AJ in a new light now, and super happy that I have another plugged in option. I remember our lost friend Jinder raving about how good his AJ sounds plugged in, now I understand his enthusiasm.

And in case youre wondering how I ranked the 'gigging' guitars it finished up like this.

1. Hummingbird TV

2. AJ

3. SJ

4. Furch

5. J-150

EA:

So how do you rate the Fishman Rare Earth blend (mike/ humbucker. I assume you're using it with your HB? I'm looking for something to replace the UST in my HB MC.

Did something happen to Jinder or is he just MIA? I always like his posts.

Did you get any resolution from Yamaha on your PA issues?

FMA

EA:

So how do you rate the Fishman Rare Earth blend (mike/ humbucker. I assume you're using it with your HB? I'm looking for something to replace the UST in my HB MC.

Did something happen to Jinder or is he just MIA? I always like his posts.

Did you get any resolution from Yamaha on your PA issues?

FMA

Actually I have the Fishman Matrix Infnity on the HB TV, like the other gits I mentioned, always in conjunction with the Aura spectrum. The Rare Earth Blend I find to be a really good, natural sounding, warm pickup. The blend feature is a real highlight and I normally go about 60% pup/ 40% mike for ideal tone. Depends also a bit on the guitar, sounded rubbish on the LG-2 but outstanding on the AJ.

Taking the Stagepass to Yamaha service tomorrow, they will do a full diagnostic on it so hopefully something will come up. No issue this afternoon when I ran it through its paces.

I've always been a fan of Yamaha audio--used to own it and sell it.

I helped install a integrated mixer/amp at a church 20 years ago. It had a problem similar to the one in your second video where the sound just shut down. Turned out to be a heat protection circuit blowing. It was weird because it wasn't that hot and it wasn' t that loud. We stuck a fan on it from then on and it seemed to work.

Hope your issue surfaces during the Yamaha test so they can solve it.

FMA

What caused the 150 to be ranked last? Curious 'cause I feel bit of jumbo GAS coming on...

The maple Jumbo sounds great at low volume,but when you have to increase volume it doesnt respond well, starts sounding quite glassy and a bit harsh losing its warmth. This is the hardest guitar Ive found in terms of replicating the acoustic tone when plugged in.

Archived