Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitar help

Rabs

Hello all on the Acoustic forum.. I normally hang about the Gibson Lounge but I had an acoustic question so I thought id post here where the knowledge is :)

So basically I got this old acoustic guitar at a car boot sale for £10.. The idea being to try and do it up and make it playable and then see if I can re-sell it for more.

The sticker inside has been ripped out and as such I cant even find a guitar on the net that looks anything like this.. I THINK its probably a 60s guitar made to look like a much earlier one but I have no idea. So if any of you have any info on what sort of guitar make and model this is it would be much appreciated.

See what you think :)

DSCN0150_zps9e2c1463.jpg

DSCN0153_zps13743aa8.jpg

DSCN0166_zpsce9ce02b.jpg

DSCN0142_zps60f53359.jpg

DSCN0156_zps6431b711.jpg

One of the things that need the most work on this is the neck [unsure]

DSCN0144_zpsc44cc39e.jpg

Anyway... as said if anyone has any sort of identifying information that would be great.. Cheers [thumbup]

As far as brand it is hard to tell. A picture of the headstock may help but without any identifying numbers or markings it would come down to looking at pictures on the net to try and find one that looks exactly the same.

So basically I got this old acoustic guitar at a car boot sale for £10.. The idea being to try and do it up and make it playable and then see if I can re-sell it for more.

I would say you paid more than it is worth looking at that neck. The heel is pulled away from the body so it is in desperate need of a neck reset and the heel is cracked so there is a lot of serious issues. Just the neck reset alone would cost you between $200 and $300 if you had a repair shop do it so making money on it is probably just wishful thinking.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth trying to fix it up just to make it playable. It will probably never be that "diamond in the rough" you would like it to be but if you have an interest in learning how to repair guitars, this is a good candidate to start with.

I have practiced on a a lot of "disposable" guitars in my early years when I wanted to learn how to do something.

Good luck with it.

Bob

As far as brand it is hard to tell. A picture of the headstock may help but without any identifying numbers or markings it would come down to looking at pictures on the net to try and find one that looks exactly the same.

I would say you paid more than it is worth looking at that neck. The heel is pulled away from the body so it is in desperate need of a neck reset. Just that alone would cost you between $200 and $300 if you had a repair shop do it so making money on it is probably just wishful thinking.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth trying to fix it up just to make it playable. It will probably never be that "diamond in the rough" you would like it to be but if you have an interest in learning how to repair guitars, this is a good candidate to start with.

Good luck with it.

Bob

Thanks for the reply.. and yes indeed I bought it for a project to try and re-set the neck and do the body up a bit etc..

Ive been making electric guitars for a short while now (well trying too anyway).. this is just a project to work on and try and increase my skills :)

Heres the headstock.. just a standard shape really

DSCN0168_zps34ff24dd.jpg

DSCN0167_zpsc40f6d01.jpg

And heres a thread on one of my builds if you wanna see(even though its long and ongoing).. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/94643-my-new-project-turn-a-door-into-a-guitar/

Cheers.

I would say you paid more than it is worth looking at that neck. The heel is pulled away from the body so it is in desperate need of a neck reset. Just that alone would cost you between $200 and $300 if you had a repair shop do it so making money on it is probably just wishful thinking.

Good luck with it.

Bob

I would think it was a Kay N-6 except for the headstock. Is there a bolt in the neck block (even if the neck is glued on)?

It was not made to look like an old guitar it was just a very inexpensive guitar - all birch, trapeze tailpiece and such.

As mentioned these guitars are not worth fixing up. What I would do is either a Kamikaze neck reset and bolt the neck on or strip it of its parts and then go find a cannibalized carcass of another guitar with a good neck and then use all the parts on it.

I would think it was a Kay N-6 except for the headstock. Is there a bolt in the neck block (even if the neck is glued on)?

It was not made to look like an old guitar it was just a very inexpensive guitar - all birch, trapeze tailpiece and such.

As mentioned these guitars are not worth fixing up. What I would do is either a Kamikaze neck reset and bolt the neck on or strip it of its parts and then go find a cannibalized carcass of another guitar with a good neck and then use all the parts on it.

Cheers man...

It looks like this

DSCN0173_zps3121c3c3.jpg

DSCN03172_zpsea54bd06.jpg

As said.. really I just got this to work on and practice my guitar making/restoration skills.. I know very little about acoustics so that's why im here just to see if I could get some info on what it was (as its always good to know if you can :))

Archived