Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Get their Kalamazoo Yet???

Kaiser Bill

Just wondering if anyone had actually received or bought the new Midtown Kalamazoo. I'm really torn. I certainly do not NEED another guitar. But these are so good looking that I'd like to have one in the collection. The naysayers on one site have almost made them sound less than desirable by citing the quality and size are a big issue. Also that "pre-ordering" means Gibson has no faith in the product.

So any info (including photos) would be greatly appreciated. I'd really love to have one, but spending my wife's money for what they refer to as a "loser guitar" isn't something I want to do. I have always loved Gibsons and hope that this one is worth the $1,500 price tag.

TIA :rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone had actually received or bought the new Midtown Kalamazoo. I'm really torn. I certainly do not NEED another guitar. But these are so good looking that I'd like to have one in the collection. The naysayers on one site have almost made them sound less than desirable by citing the quality and size are a big issue. Also that "pre-ordering" means Gibson has no faith in the product.

So any info (including photos) would be greatly appreciated. I'd really love to have one, but spending my wife's money for what they refer to as a "loser guitar" isn't something I want to do. I have always loved Gibsons and hope that this one is worth the $1,500 price tag.

TIA :rolleyes:

I ordered mine from Wildwood Guitars back on September 28th. Still waiting but others have stated they ordered from American Musical Supply & that theirs have been shipped. Regarding "The naysayers on one site have almost made them sound less than desirable by citing the quality and size are a big issue" is something I had not read and quite honestly would not have mattered to me even if I had read it before I ordered mine. I'm unsure as to how anyone can speak about any quality issues when no one that I'm aware of so far has even had their hands on one. [confused]

The internet is a wonderful thing for sure but frankly, if I had based previous buying decisions on every negative I had read on any given piece of gear out there - I wouldn't have ordered anything online. I realize not everyone is going to be pleased with every purchase they make but I have to try something out for myself before I make an educated decision. I have no concerns about this purchase. If it turns out to be a mistake - I will state so honestly and speak specifically about what feature, function or finish issues upset me. In the meantime I am looking very forward to putting my hands on this guitar! :)

KB,

There is a discussion here:

Delayed Shipping

on the delivery situation. AMS says mine is awaiting a shipping tracking number.

We are all waiting for videos, reviews or sound bites from Gibson or a user to appear.

As far as the naysayers are concerned, they seem to for the most part be archtop snobs. This is an innovative design, it's not an archtop it's closer in design to a Midtown Custom with a shorter scale, rosewood fingerboard, locking tuners, and full hollowbody (not sure about blocking at this stage).

As far as the narrow lower bout is concerned, I never liked the huge lower bouts on most hollowbody guitars. Being an electric guitar with a routered (probably, judging from the pictures) back and solid maple top, I suspect that a wider lower bout would be totally pointless to amplified tone anyway and the narrow bout just will make this guitar more comfortable to play.

But all this is conjecture till we get one in our hands or see a video or two.

I just received the CANCELLATION of my Kalamazoo order from Amazon with a lame excuse of "lack of availability". Problem is they don't want to honor the $1082 price they had listed. Anybody have an idea where to go from here?? Is there anyone I can complain to??

This stinks...

I just went on AMS...they had one in stock...so I ordered it. To heck with Amazon... Yes... I paid $1499. So what?...Amazon's supplier lost out on this deal...

I'm going to guess that Amazon got their butt chewed off by Gibson after other Gibson retailers that were selling this guitar for the price it was originally supposed to sell street price for complained to Gibson after learning from this forum and others that Amazon was blowing them out for over $400 cheaper. Can't imagine that Amazon would want to Jeopardize their relationship with one of the most sought after guitar manufacturers on the planet. :unsure:

Rev... I hope you are right. I hope Gibson ripped them a new one. You don't confirm an order and then renege on it. Good thing my wife is loaded. She never batted an eye when I told her it was going to be $318 more than the original price. Thats okay Amazon...what goes around comes around.

Actually, my dealer routinely beats (sometimes by a LOT) the Big Box stores, on pricing

(and service). But, they DON'T openly advertise their prices. It's strictly between them,

and their customers. Big Box retailers, and Amazon.com, both probably sell, for less...

but they have to use the "minimum ADVERTISED price," when posting prices. I'm sure Amazon

did get "busted" by Gibson, for POSTING that price, regardless of what they actually sold,

or would sell them for.

Rickenbacker pulled it's products, from Guitar Center, for this kind of

pricing violations, among other reasons (like promising delivery dates,

to customers, when they knew they were at Ric's mercy, that way, to begin

with, etc.), apparently. MF can still sell Ric's, but they never openly

advertise the price. You have to e-mail, or call.

CB

Thanks for all the sage words CB.. I have been here in Florida one month and have no connections at any music stores. I called the local GC several weeks before the release date to ask them to hold a Kalamazoo for me. They informed me on November 5th that "ONLY OUR PREMIUM STORES GET THEM". What?? Had I know the store was not going to ever see one I would have looked elsewhere. Perhaps the fellow I talked to spoke English as a second language or was afraid to tell me they wouldn't be getting one for fear of loosing a customer. Guess what?? IT WORKED!! I won't be spending a penny at your store.

No need to sell me on the "perks" of owning a Gibson, however I have no idea what a "locking" tuner is. Is this something thats needed/desirable in a tuner?? I'm not familiar with them being on a Gibson. Is it like a "Sperzel"?? If so.... then yes...I know what that is. When I get mine, I will be changing the tuners to Grover Imperials anyway. They really add class to any guitar...IMHO.

My Joe Pass has gold hardware. Looks great everywhere except the pups. The thin plating has worn off after 6 years of semi-steady usage.

Now I am watching my email for the shipping notice from AMS. I have always had good luck with them.

CB... thanks for the video. ( I gotta learn how to post them). That is what I have seen on a friends guitar. I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt before changing to Imperials. Thanks again...very informative.

BTW... I was just on AMS and they have the Midtown Custom in stock. I thought they stopped making them a while back. They remind me of a 335. Beautiful as well.

Archived