Gibson Brands Forums

Books on guitar history

brc

Does any one know of some good books on the history of Gibson guitars.

I am looking for some thing that will go into detail on specific models, ES 335 345 355.

I have a few now, but they lack some of the information I am looking for, such as serial numbers, how many manufactured for certain years, material used, options for the guitars.

thank for any help

I have 'American Guitars' by Tom Wheeler among others which has some of the info you seek, but the book must be well out of date now unless they updated it.

I don't think there is one big fat 'History of Gibson Guitars' book but there should be and it would make a great web project.

Then there is Wikipedia which is pretty good IMO considering it has most of the sources it gets the info from at the bottom of the page. These entries may not be exhaustive but they're not bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gibson_electric_guitars

Regards!

I have 'American Guitars' by Tom Wheeler among others which has some of the info you seek, but the book must be well out of date now unless they updated it.

I don't think there is one big fat 'History of Gibson Guitars' book but there should be and it would make a great web project.

Then there is Wikipedia which is pretty good IMO considering it has most of the sources it gets the info from at the bottom of the page. These entries may not be exhaustive but they're not bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gibson_electric_guitars

Regards!

Appreciate it. That link helped some what.I have a 1960 ES 355 that I am original owner, and I am trying to get as much information as I can.

thanks again

I have a 1960 ES 355 that I am original owner, and I am trying to get as much information as I can.

How about my shipping address? Would that help? [biggrin]

Seriously though, the Wheeler book is really good. In addition to great photos, it has production totals by year, but I would imagine it is the same that is available on the Internet.

Just last night I went on the Hal Leonard Music Books site and there were literally hundreds of books dealing with all kinds of guitar history and the evolution of different brands plus detailed info on just about every separate model of North American guitars.I have the History of the Burst coming and a few weeks ago I got the Gibson Book and the Flying V,Explorer and Firebird book and the History of Epiphone-all from Hal Leonard books.You can get some of these books much cheaper by going on Amazon.com or on the Indigo books on line store.They have hundreds of titles there too.I have built up a pretty good reference library dealing strictly with all aspects of guitar in the past few months.

The ES guitars have been covered by others here.

On the broader topic of 'Gibson' one great book is Gil Hembree's 'Gibson Guitars : Ted McCarty's Golden Era 1948 - 1966', also from the Hal Leonard stable.

I can't recommend this book highly enough for people interested in this crucial time in the history of the company. Utterly fascinating throughout.

It also, of course, includes the story behind, and the introduction of, the ES range of instruments.

P.

Check out, Guitar Family Trees by Terry Burrows. Hands down the best, newest, most thorough I have ever seen... Very well illustrated, lots of pic of guitars and famous people who use them. Comes with fold out posters, descriptions and history of just about any guitar you can think of. Prolog written by Zakk Wyde

See it here

GuitarTrees_zps2c919721.jpeg

Archived