Gibson Brands Forums

elixir light VS custom lights

4 FINGER PETE

I'd appreciate your input on what gauge strings you prefer. I own a Hummingbird Pro and have been using Elixir Nano lights .012 - .053 , but I find that it's a little harder to play, as I bend a lot and do a lot of pull-offs.. But, having used the custom lights .011 - .052, I find that playabillity is improved but I get more "string rattling" with them. What do you think, should I go with playability and string rattling or more volume with bigger gauge ? What do you use ? Thank's !msp_cool.gif

I used custom lights on my AJ for some years and really enjoyed them for bending and ease of playing. Changing your set up would probably help your rattle problem. You shouldn't have that normally. It's really an individual guitar issue .... some like 'em heavy and some like 'em light.

If you like the tone, you should be able to get the buzz adjusted out of your guitar with the custom lights. Maybe just a truss rod adjustment. And personally, I not only consider nanowebs real strings, but they are my first choice. I see 3 really good reasons to choose them. 1) They start off sounding like a string with a few hours break in, which is what I like. 2) They stay there for weeks. 3) They don't get sticky and squeaky, even when your hands are sweating. I can just barely tolerate uncoated strings these days. I even use Nanos on my electrics.

P

Thank's a bunch guys for your views on the Elixirs. I just reaIly love the fact that they last so long. As far as their tone, they are "different" but I haven't seen that as a handicap so far. I think if I could get the rattle out I would go back to the custom lights as the lighter gauge is easier to play and allows for more "variety" and style. I'm just wondering if the fact that I had my action lowered through lowering the bridge is not responsible for this rattle. The problem is, I also love a low action. It was done by a pro and plays without a buzz anywhere. I just think that since I play a little hard or louder, there is no way around this. A little rattle never killed anyone I guess [smile]

Thank's for your input E A ! Much appreciated ...

When I got my J-200 I liked the sound and playability so much I contacted the previous owner to see what strings were on it: Elixir Custom Lights. I never would have thought strings this light would sound so good and I LOVE the way they play! I bought a set for my HD-28 but haven't put them on yet; it will be interesting to hear them on a guitar I'm more used to. I did put a set on my Guild 12 and like them so far. My hands just KILL strings so I'm really liking how long they last.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to adjust the truss rod. Custom lights=147 inch pounds on the top and neck. Light gauge strings = 159 inch pounds on the top and neck. Med strings=183.5 inch pounds on the top. The truss rod counter acts tension. Putting custom light strings on your guitar is like loosening the truss rod. The neck probaly bowed back enough to give you slight buzz when playing. If you had put med gauge strings on your guitar you would have noticed high string acttion and the truss rod woud need to be tightened.. Since you put custom lite gauge strings on your guitar the neck bowed back so you need to loosen the truss rod.

Here is how to adjust your truss rod.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-adjust-the-truss-rod-on-a-guitar.html

Pete...

As Bryn noted, there will be a differential in tension among string gauges. A "professional setup" appropriate for one string gauge may not be for a set either lighter or heavier. That's why the suggestion for the truss rod adjustment. It's not an insult for a setup done by a pro, but just how stuff happens.

Depending on the difference between what the guitar was designed to carry, the nut also may need some adjustment. Lighter strings have been known to "rattle" at the nut if it was cut for a larger or smaller gauge. That may have an effect on "rattle."

Other than that, string choice is pretty much a personal choice and quite often changes as the picker may change what he's doing in "guitaring." For example, although I wear Elixirs on most of my AE and electrics, I'm doing some experimentation with various flatwound gauges on a couple of archtops.

m

Archived