Gibson Brands Forums

My Squier 51 version 5.0

Riffster

Thanks guys,

Charlie, I contemplated adding the toggle at the front but I ended up opting to put it in the middle because on this guitar I use more the coil-splitting on the humbucker which is activated by the volume pot.

Actually back in 2005 when there was a cult following on these guitars a guy in New Zealand had a batch of modified control plates made by a machinist, essentially he grouped the knobs together and added a spot for a 5-way Strat swicth.

These guitars come with a 3-way rotary switch instead of a tone pot hence the mods.

Thanks guys,

Charlie, I contemplated adding the toggle at the front but I ended up opting to put it in the middle because on this guitar I use more the coil-splitting on the humbucker which is activated by the volume pot.

Actually back in 2005 when there was a cult following on these guitars a guy in New Zealand had a batch of modified control plates made by a machinist, essentially he grouped the knobs together and added a spot for a 5-way Strat swicth.

These guitars come with a 3-way rotary switch instead of a tone pot hence the mods.

Cool! Makes sense, and...it was just "my" thought/preference, not a mandate at all. [biggrin]

CB

Yea, I think that back then I did not buy that plate because it required routing and I did not have a router.

By the way, the coil-splitting sound great on single coil,

The humbucker is a GFS '59 and sounds great with the 25.5" scale on humbucker mode.

Yea, a lot of people did expect/want Fender to issue it but the assumption back then it was that it'd be Mexican made and at the time at around $350 but...they came back just last year as a Made in Japan model with a hefty price tag.

Now Squier is making them again, they replaced the black model with a candy apple red or something like that. I for the life of me do not get why they keep offering a sunburst.

Archived