Gibson Brands Forums

Question about ES-295 reissues

dallasblues

Hey guys/gals. I've long been interested in ES-295's. I play a blend of jazz, blues, country, rockabilly, etc. and think these would fit the bill rather well. However, because of the sky high prices of original 295's, a reissue is more realistic... if only slightly more so. Something I've noticed though is that there is more than one version, or "generation", of 295 reissue. I was first aware of a version that came out in the 90's that had a bigsby and P-100 (vs. P90) pickups. The other, is the current custom 295 reissue, with real P90's, and the original style tailpiece. I'm sure the more recent is a more faithful rendition of the model. What are the thoughts if the older reissue? I don't know about the P100 pickups but like the Bigsby.

You're right there have been different reissues since the 90s. The first reissues were available 1990/91; then there was a late 90s very limited run; then again a Scotty Moore collector's edition with his spec; then a very recent reissue shown at NAMM show. (There may be others but I'm no expert). I have a 1990 reissue & replaced the P100s with P90s & also replaced the Bigsby with an original 1950's wraparound bridge/tailpiece. It's as near as I'm going to get without shelling out £7-8,000 for an original. Serves me well. Also have the Epiphone 295 as a back up but that's a far from faithful repro of the Gibson.

Archived