Gibson Brands Forums

The 2013 LP Standard Koa upgrade

Rabs

Say who to the what now??? When did they start this... damn.. I want one [drool] (right, im getting some Koa for my next build :P :))

(edit: just had a look, regular LP Standard $3,899, Koa Upgrade $4,699) http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

koa_Unknown-38_zps3754308e.jpg

koa_Unknown-37_zps5a5c6731.jpg

koa_Unknown-36_zps5e685be8.jpg

koa_Unknown-35_zps378dc6d7.jpg

koa_Unknown-34_zpsec94f477.jpg

full article here

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Koa-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

The Les Paul Standard is the centerpiece of the now-almost concluded 2013 Year of Les Paul celebrations. It’s the most versatile Les Paul Standard ever created, and it pretty much has to be: if you’re going to call a guitar a ‘standard,’ it’s going to be scrutinized pretty closely. The 2013 Les Paul Standard has plenty of high-performance features geared towards playability and tone, and for 2013 there’s also the option of a koa upgrade, taking the place of the standard maple top.

Endemic to the Hawaiian Islands (where it’s the second most common tree), Koa is a reddish wood that is relatively common among basses and acoustic guitars, but it’s probably not among the woods that spring to mind most readily when we think of electric guitar bodies. It has a warm tone that is similar to mahogany, a weight that ranges from medium to heavy, and can be found in ‘regular’ and flame figures. It looks beautiful when it’s simply oiled, but it really, really comes alive when you stain it and give it a nice shiny finish. The 2013 Standard Koa is available in five finishes: Desert Burst, Cherry Sunburst, Honey Burst, Translucent Amber and Tea Burst.

Agree they are beautiful to look at. Wonder what they sound like? The LP sound has mostly been derived from mahohany back with maple top - maple and koa acoustics sound distinctly different - wonder how much of an effect the koa cap has??

Apparently

Koa

A member of the acacia family, Koa grows only in Hawaii. Flamed Koa is a gorgeous tonewood displaying some "Mahogany like" properties. Clean and bright with a rich low end.

Agree they are beautiful to look at. Wonder what they sound like? The LP sound has mostly been derived from mahohany back with maple top - maple and koa acoustics sound distinctly different - wonder how much of an effect the koa cap has??

I wonder that too.

They are really beautiful guitars. The one at the top I like the best - some version of Desertburst I suspect. Whatever. It is very nice!

EDIT: and upon re-reading properly it would seem to be Desertburst.

They Koa tops do look extremely different. I think one should exactly see what she/he buys, or it could turn out to be very surprising [scared][unsure] :unsure:

OK, this kind of wood stock may retain its share holder value, as long as there's someone who likes it [love]

I wonder that too.

They are really beautiful guitars. The one at the top I like the best - some version of Desertburst I suspect. Whatever. It is very nice!

EDIT: and upon re-reading properly it would seem to be Desertburst.

Same here.. that Desertburst is stunning... [thumbup]

And id just like to add... GREAT idea Gibson.. This makes them that bit different.. A fair amount more cash though for just a different top.. BUT DAMMMnnnn they are nice :)

Hows about some like more Swamp Ash or even a Bubinga top..... hmmm

What other tops do you guys think would be good.. Id say Koa is a really good match for a Les Paul.. I reckon they will sound PHAT!! :)

Since I saw this a couple of days ago I have been obsessing on the Cherryburst and Honeyburst models. My mind is racing. Asked a few weeks ago on this forum on which guitar I would never give up. To get one of these, I would give it up. [scared]

Archived