Gibson Brands Forums

HummingBird

jw3571

Just got back from Guitar Center. I went in really hoping to like a J45, I tried a few different ones, a standard and a vintage. I didn't really care for either, they both sounded really thin to my ears. I came across a Hummingbird that I really enjoyed, it had that dirty Gibson sound that everyone talks about. I'm not sure what model it even was, I think it was Sitka top with Mahogany back, the price tag $3999. I also really like a Martin D41, tough decision, any opinions?

Personally, I'm a big Hummingbird fan. Tough to beat mahogany for a warm tone and the looks of the Hummingbird are great for me. The looks and the sound compliment each other. I believe it's an awesome instrument. Plus, "the bird" is a superb fingerpicking guitar, along with being a full-blown dreadnaught. The name "Hummingbird" leads many to think that the guitar is a gentle and quiet guitar (and it can be. depends on how you play it), but it is still a big and square-shouldered dread. It can roar with the best of them. I also like Martins, but in this case I'd definitely go with "the bird."....It all boils-down to what you personally are drawn to. I could live with either of the guitars, but I favor the Hummingbird. Have fun choosing. [thumbup]

To put it straight forward, the ideal choice would be both 1 G and 1 M.

A Bird or a 45 (in your case a Bird) and a D-41 should create a cloud in heaven - or 2 to jump between.

They are 2 different acoustics in the most intriguing way.

However we talkin' 1 and 'only' 1 right now.

I think you should compare on a deeper level. And go for some 45's maybe others too.

You probably know the Bird* and the 45 is hog where the 41 is rose.

I believe those models will project and serve you differently in general.

Don't choose to early - feel your way forward and notice which ones have the key to your soul, , , and to the songs you're playing.

Then make a plan to purchase both 2 sides of that coin further down the road.

Have fun investigating.

*It must have been the True Vintage.

I pretty much agree with the other comments. I have a HB standard and a D41 Special. The only thing they have in common are they are both my favorite guitars. I tend to use the Martin for pickin' and the HB for strummin' but whatever floats your boat. Find one you like and make a good deal then work on the next one

I really like both guitars, totally and utterly different. Hummingbird, well Ive got two of them, and while Im generally pretty hard on Martins the 40 series Marts I really appreciate as to my ears they have a high end 'shimmer' that is missing from the lower series. This brings more balance and sparkle which many Martins really need.

Cant go wrong with either and to have both next to each other is a wonderful luxury.

2 great guitars to chose from. I think these 2 beauties would actually compliment one anther quite well. The 40 series Martin while give you that signature Martin chime and lush notes. THe miss will be somewhat scooped , but the bass should really stand out. Whereas the Hummingbird will give you great warmth with beautiful rich midrange.

The Hummingbird would be my first choice. I am in fact waiting the arrival of my own Hummingbird True Vintage . But this is a Gibson Forum, so what do you expect us to say? [biggrin]

Archived