Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the ES-137 scale length?

ShowPony

Hi, I've been looking at buying an ES-137 and I'm wondering what the scale length is

The Gibson site on one page says 24" and another says 24.75" and someone else says its the same as a Les Paul

Perhaps they came out with different scale lengths. Does anyone know much about these guitars?

cheers

Hi,

I owned a custom version for a while. As I recall, it was the same scale length as my Les Paul and ES 339. The custom had different pickups than the classic model.

I thought it sounded great. I remember it was heavy.

I found the frets not to my liking. They were pretty tall. Being a newbie at the time, I found it very challenging to get just the right amount of string pressure and get the intonation correct. Not sure if this is true across the model or if it was just my particular guitar. I would recommend that you play it and see if you have an issue with the fret height before you buy or at least make sure you can return it if it is not to your liking.

Thanks for the replies

Yes try-before-you-buy is a good idea but the one I want is on the other side of the country. There's one over here and I like the way it plays but I don't like the colour. However I know its scale length is a bit shorter than a Les Paul

The shop over east says their's is the same as a Les Paul, therefore (if thats true) Gibson must have changed the scale length year to year

I know the ES-135 came with a variety of configurations. Some had Trapese bridge some with Stop-tail. Some had P100's some had PAFs. So I wouldn't be surprised if they tinkered with the scale length also

So I'm still hoping someone can verify, did they come with different scale lengths?

thanks for any replies

Thanks for the replies

Yes try-before-you-buy is a good idea but the one I want is on the other side of the country. There's one over here and I like the way it plays but I don't like the colour. However I know its scale length is a bit shorter than a Les Paul

The shop over east says their's is the same as a Les Paul, therefore (if thats true) Gibson must have changed the scale length year to year

I know the ES-135 came with a variety of configurations. Some had Trapese bridge some with Stop-tail. Some had P100's some had PAFs. So I wouldn't be surprised if they tinkered with the scale length also

So I'm still hoping someone can verify, did they come with different scale lengths?

thanks for any replies

Changing hardware on a guitar model is a much different proposition from changing scale length; however, Gibson shows the scale length for the current ES-137 Classic as 24" as opposed to the 24.75" of earlier models, so it is possible that they have changed it. You should be able to get a dealer who has one in stock to measure it for you.

Danny W.

Firstly...the ES137 is one superb guitar... [thumbup]

So personal opinion is to get one...

I just this minute measured my ES137 Custom and the scale length is 24.75

And yes, I noticed recent quotes of 24" on the Gibson site

For me it would not matter either way

IMO a superb meld of ES175/Les Paul/ES335 DNA

A 'versatile' tool capable of handling more musics than most

With looks to die for... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I asked a dealer to measure nut to 12th fret for me and he said 12 and two quarter inches

Btw, I've been asking too many questions and he's getting annoyed

Versatile, you have a Custom. That may have a different scale length. I wish I could get one of those I like the ebony fretboard

Archived