Gibson Brands Forums

One Amp, Only!

charlie brown

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used a Fender Frontman 212R for years,even have a back up one.I bought a New Fender Mustang III amp a few months ago ,the sounds you get out of it are awesome plus it's 100W just like the 212R.

Copyof7-27-11052.jpg

The 100-watt Frontman 212R features two 12” Special Design speakers, classic styling, simple controls, drive and more drive distortion and channel switching, and reverb.

This is a very useful thread.

I get to learn what ya'll prioritize and I get to see what amps do what.

Milod brought up the question of weight right off...that's sort of where I start in needs. I don't like solid state amps much based on limited experience, and I don't like ample head room. The coolest sounding amp I've played is the VOX AC15. I'd love one of them, and I've tried Riveras and vintage Fenders at the store. I don't know what it is about them...

Izzy...

Yeah, and opinion, IMHO, will change over time too.

For example, I used to schlep that big tube monster and a Fender Leslie and a PA and a guitar and a Bassman head with a big cab and a guitar and a bass... All for rooms where frankly a small PA and my little SS amps, guitar and bass, and a stomp box would have still been volume overkill.

Sheesh.

The two little SS amps I have now, a guitar and bass, will pretty much "do" for about anywhere I'm likely to play. With a solo acoustic gig, it's only a question of "small PA or even smaller AE amp" depending on the venue and its shape.

IMHO too, "we" tend to get so much into amps and guitar "tone" in ways that actually have very little to do with audience perception.

So... why? I dunno. Our own ego? Sense of perfection? I dunno.

I do know that my own reflection on such questions arose when I started to wonder why I was hauling all that stuff when I'd noticed in "standing in" with groups that had far less "stuff" resulted in no difference in audience perception. Hence there's a batch of heavy equipment that works well as a table or other home decoration.

m

Izzy...

Yeah, and opinion, IMHO, will change over time too.

For example, I used to schlep that big tube monster and a Fender Leslie and a PA and a guitar and a Bassman head with a big cab and a guitar and a bass... All for rooms where frankly a small PA and my little SS amps, guitar and bass, and a stomp box would have still been volume overkill.

Sheesh.

The two little SS amps I have now, a guitar and bass, will pretty much "do" for about anywhere I'm likely to play. With a solo acoustic gig, it's only a question of "small PA or even smaller AE amp" depending on the venue and its shape.

IMHO too, "we" tend to get so much into amps and guitar "tone" in ways that actually have very little to do with audience perception.

So... why? I dunno. Our own ego? Sense of perfection? I dunno.

I do know that my own reflection on such questions arose when I started to wonder why I was hauling all that stuff when I'd noticed in "standing in" with groups that had far less "stuff" resulted in no difference in audience perception. Hence there's a batch of heavy equipment that works well as a table or other home decoration.

m

Well, as we're both fond of saying: "Too soon, Olt...too late Schmardt!" [biggrin]

CB

This is a very useful thread.

I get to learn what ya'll prioritize and I get to see what amps do what.

Milod brought up the question of weight right off...that's sort of where I start in needs. I don't like solid state amps much based on limited experience, and I don't like ample head room. The coolest sounding amp I've played is the VOX AC15. I'd love one of them, and I've tried Riveras and vintage Fenders at the store. I don't know what it is about them...

Izzy - if you haven't yet, try out a Bugera V22.

Only 4 - although my wife might argue about who "owns" the Bassman top and cab from the 60s. She actually used it more than I did in the 70s...

OTOH, I've considered a Fender Mustang III. But then... the lack of two input sectors makes me say, "Nahhh."

m

40 o holy crapoly!!!!

This past month I unloaded all of my gigging ampliphoneage, that'd been...4 amps, 3 cabinets, a head. All gone. I only have my beloved Princeton Recording Amp and a VMBandmaster 2x12, both gifts from The Mrs in the last 5 years or so.

It feels good to not have that weight around. I don't gig anymore, they were not being used, out they go!

rct

I had a Marshall JCM 800 50 watt (sounded great with my LP not so much with my strat), but sold it to buy my Dumble clone. I have a ceriatone ots hrm. Sweet distortion, with a super clean channel via a foot switch. Bought a 2x12" cab & put in weber 1265 alnico"s. Sounds killer with my les paul and my strat. also put vox grille cloth on the head and speaker cab.

Check out the ceriatone overtone series amps, on Youtube, ya may want another amp....

Good Lord that took longer than I thought it would [crying]

I uploaded photos to my band's website instead of trying to post so many photos on here so without further delay - here's the link:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/myamps.html

(As you scroll down on Page 1 there is a link to Page 2 of my amp collection.)

For everyone's easy reference - here's the actual list:

Ampeg Reverbrocket

Atom Amps Metroliner

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30

Dr Z Maz 38 Senior

Egnater Rebel 20

Fender Blues Deluxe (Tweed)

Fender Blues Junior

Fender Champ 12 (faux Snakeskin)

Fender Concert Reverb (4 X 10)

Fender Excelsior

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (Tweed)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (Limited Edition Sunburst Maple Cab/Jensen Spkr)

Fender Pro Junior(s) (I own two)

Fender 57 Twin Reissue (Tweed)

Fender 65 Twin Reverb (Signed by Richie Havens)

Gibson GA 20 RVT

Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Junior

Gibson GA-15 RV

Gibson Super Goldtone GA 30 RV

Heritage Patriot

Hiwatt DC 40 Bulldog

Marshall DSL 401

Marshall TSL 122

Marshall JTM 30

Marshall JTM 45 Bluesbreaker

Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker

Mesa Boogie Nomad 45

Reverend Hellhound 40/60

Rivera Pubster

Rivera Chubster

Rivera Thirty Twelve

Roland Acoustic Chorus 100

Roland Cube 30

SWR California Blonde

Trace Elliot TA 50 R

Trace Elliot Velocette

Top Hat Club Deluxe

Top Hat Club Royale

Top Hat Ambassador 35

Zinky Blue Velvet

Now all you married guys can point to this when you want to buy another amp & tell your wife - Hey! I'm at least not as crazy as this guy! [biggrin]

Enjoy!

Sheesh, my back hurts just lookin' at that stuff.

BTW, it's been a long, long time since I lived in DM. It's where I bought my first guitar more than 50 years ago... when the McDonalds' were 15-cent burgers, 15-cent fries and 15-cent shakes over by Drake...

Or... earlier... Saturday or Sunday lunch in the Cloud Room at the airport watching folks board the popular DC-3s.

Or... looking out at the city from the cupola on top of the capitol dome...

Toldja it's been a long, long time.

Or... playing on the Mary Jane Chinn show? wasn't that KRNT?

m

Archived