Gibson Brands Forums

One Amp, Only!

charlie brown

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is! [thumbup]

Since I can never recover the cost I have invested in that one I will never sell it so I may as well enjoy it (and I do). [smile]

If you ever see this come up for sale in Iowa you'll know that ol Dave has died :blink:

A friend of mine had a Velocette briefly, and I only played it once. However, I was miffed when he told me he had sold it. I thought it was amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

This amp's pretty nice. Fender Supersonic 22. Me and my buddy have been working on it for a while but I just played it today for the first time and I made a quick demo.

We did one more tweak on the Supersonic 22 to get some of the fizz out of the Gain1 circuit and it made a boat load of difference. This amp is easily Fender's best club sized amp. Way more versatile than the DR. The drive channel's circuit is great - with the cascading Dumble type thing - but it's all fizzy and trebly the way it's voiced and you need to fiddle with some caps and resistors to get it tamed.

Like my buddy said, you have to subtract 20 years from the amp to make it go from a 80/90's amp to a 60/70's amp.

[biggrin]

Izzy...

Yeah, and opinion, IMHO, will change over time too.

For example, I used to schlep that big tube monster and a Fender Leslie and a PA and a guitar and a Bassman head with a big cab and a guitar and a bass... All for rooms where frankly a small PA and my little SS amps, guitar and bass, and a stomp box would have still been volume overkill.

Sheesh.

The two little SS amps I have now, a guitar and bass, will pretty much "do" for about anywhere I'm likely to play. With a solo acoustic gig, it's only a question of "small PA or even smaller AE amp" depending on the venue and its shape.

IMHO too, "we" tend to get so much into amps and guitar "tone" in ways that actually have very little to do with audience perception.

So... why? I dunno. Our own ego? Sense of perfection? I dunno.

I do know that my own reflection on such questions arose when I started to wonder why I was hauling all that stuff when I'd noticed in "standing in" with groups that had far less "stuff" resulted in no difference in audience perception. Hence there's a batch of heavy equipment that works well as a table or other home decoration.

m

This probably sums a few of us up![biggrin]

IMHO too, "we" tend to get so much into amps and guitar "tone" in ways that actually have very little to do with audience perception.

So... why? I dunno. Our own ego? Sense of perfection? I dunno.

I do know that my own reflection on such questions arose when I started to wonder why I was hauling all that stuff when I'd noticed in "standing in" with groups that had far less "stuff" resulted in no difference in audience perception. Hence there's a batch of heavy equipment that works well as a table or other home decoration.

I think it's more to do with what makes us happy as a guitarist. If we're happy with our tone we relax and play better. Nothing to do with audience perception and everything to do with ours.

Thommo..

Actually that was my quote...

I dunno, I've been playing over 50 years and ain't felt all that much problem with "tone" regardless what I was playing.

I think I hear fairly well - at least I certainly did when I was younger - and perhaps I just think of each guitar as having its own voice to be appreciated - pretty much as I appreciate the voices of others I've sung with in various circumstances.

Not saying I'm right - just that there are different perspectives.

Except for a couple big-box AEs that get used more for acoustic get-togethers doing old-time sorta stuff, basically I'm more a playability guy.

m

Hi Milod,

I think that's pretty cool if you can be happy with a wide range of tones. You're definitely right about perspective - so much of music is a subjective thing and guitar tone is one of those things. I guess some of us are really fussy about it and others less so.

I know myself that my taste has changed over the years. In the 90's I was more into high-gain, compressed, effects-laden, scooped sounds but now I've loosened up a bit and prefer a much simpler, lower-gain, bluesy crunch and rely on the guitar volume control more to get the tone I want.

Archived