Gibson Brands Forums

When did they stop using the Epiphone by Gibson labeling?

XxMerlinxX

I had an LP Special II with the Gibson truss rod cover. Nice, entry level LP. It does say "Gibson" on it...must be :rolleyes:

epi-3.jpg

1996-1997 or so, from the Boston Guitar Center. Notice no "Special" or "Les Paul" script on the headstock, very plain.

Its impossible to get an exact year without seeing the serial number, but one thing I can tell you by looking at the positioning of the Epiphone logo on the headstock is that the guitar was made after 1996. From 1990-1996 the logo wasnt angled and ran straight across the top perpendicular to the headstock like the picture that Crust posted.

I can also tell you that the guitar was most likely not made after 2002 - if the tuners are original. From 2002 on they started using Grover die-cast tuners.

• 5 years later...

I have an epiphone les Paul  that I picked up and the head stock is gray, not black.  The serial number says it was made in Korea, 2002. The tuners are epiphone and it doesn’t look like the neck was ever changed.  Could this be a fake epiphone. Also it has a truss rod cover that says Gibson 

any info would be great. Thank you 

jim A.

• 1 year later...

It could be a Nouveau/Spotlight. They were a weird line that was intended to be made in Japan and assembled in Nashville and marketed as Gibson Nouveau, but that was when Gibson was sold and they were completely built in Japan, as both Nouveau and Epiphone.

The Epiphone logo in inlaid script; Gibson is inlaid in a diamon.

• 3 weeks later...