Gibson Brands Forums

AJ vs. Hummingbird

jw3571

Two very different beasts to my ears and eyes. Also depends a lot on which flavor you get. The traditional "bird" is mahogany and has a warm and perhaps more mellow tone to it. Still, it's a full-blown dreadnaught when it comes to making noise. More "eye candy" than the AJ. The AJ can be a real bruiser if that's what you need, and still be gentle and subtle when you need that. Big and full sound. It would be pretty cool to own both.

Two very different beasts to my ears and eyes. Also depends a lot on which flavor you get. The traditional "bird" is mahogany and has a warm and perhaps more mellow tone to it. Still, it's a full-blown dreadnaught when it comes to making noise. More "eye candy" than the AJ. The AJ can be a real bruiser if that's what you need, and still be gentle and subtle when you need that. Big and full sound. It would be pretty cool to own both.

Ditto

I second MP on the above - would call the Advanced J. louder though. It's nicknamed the acoustic cannon for a reason.

Guess you have checked the spec-differences on the G-site and elsewhere on the web. Hog vs. rose - short vs. long etc.

I would add that the Bird is a more sophisticated guitar - though raw and rocking it can be. . .

Two very, very different animals. If you really like the H-bird, buy it. AJ's are great guitars (I own one), but tonally nothing at all like a Hummingbird. My brother has a H-bird TV that I really covet!

Hummingbird - warm, mellow, honey sounding, great to strum and sing over (used by Keith Richards on a lot of the old Rolling Stones stuff)

AJ - snappier, brighter, but has a deep heavy rumble to the bass at the same time, more overtones, powerful and loud

Archived